Hornwort had another color besides green?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rxblade123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was looking at my 10 gallon a while ago and noticed that the new leaves of my hornwort plants have a purplish color on the bottom of it. Is that normal in hornwort or do I have some other kind of plant?

I've never seen or heard of hornwort being purple.

It's usually just green in regular light, dark green in full sunlight (outdoors), and brown when it is wintering.

Do you have any pictures of it?

All I can think of, is that its dying and turning from green to brown, and because its slow, and your lighting, and who knows what other environmental variables...are causing to have a purplish tint as it goes brown.

Photos would help a ton.

My experience with hornwort, is that high light changes the colour from dark green to light green to brownish with the whorls closer together. Also, hornwort is a floating plant that does not root, so sticking the stems in the substrate tends to cause the bottoms to die off.

Oh when I said there was purplish color on the bottom of it, I meant the bottom of the new leaves. Unfortunately I don't have a camera so I won't be able to provide pictures. Is there any way to prevent the bottom of the stems from dying off so quickly? I don't like the look of it floating and would rather have it planted in bunches.

The new growth does often have a slightly different color. My way of preventing bottom from dying off is to have my hornwort double in size every week so I have throw away the old half every 7 days.

Lol. Well for cabomba you can plant it in the gravel. Just make sure you take off the bottom leaves about 1 to 1.5 inchs from the end so that when you plant it there won't be leaves under the gravel to decay.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom