Hospital tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmlorfam

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is there a ratio of cycled water to new water when setting up a hospital tank. Everything Ive read doesn't address this issue. I want enough to prevent a "new cycling" but not so much as to duplicate my DT. Or more specifically how much will keep the tank from a full cycle? If this doesn't make sense I'll drink more beer until it does :brows:

Water doesn't carry the beneficial bacteria that eats ammonia and waste, that is in the filter media, rocks, sand, even if you put 100% water from your DT into the hospital tank it is not cycled.

Ok now this doesn't make sense, why put DT water in a hospital tank? Or am I reading these articles wrong?

There is no reason to put DT water in a hospital tank. Many people believe incorrectly that water is the vessel for beneficial bacterial in your water. You need to have established filter media or rock to avoid a cycle in a QT.

That makes sense. Every article Ive read recommends putting DT water into the HT. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why. It really makes putting sick fish in a HT risky tho. Unestablished filter system is going to cycle (yes?) and that means dealing with ammonia and nitrites. Thank you for you advice.:banghead:

No problem, how big is your hospital tank?
I bought a 40g kit from the LFS, because my tang developed ich. Not dealt with this problem b4 and don't want to lose him. He is clearing up nicely (using the Hypo-salinity approach) but I'm worried about the water. i now find myself testing daily with water changes. I just bought ammo lock (I'm desperate to not let ammonia get outta hand) and am trying it out. Its a sort of feel your way through the dark approach right now.

I understand, it can be rough when you have to go on the fly. Just be diligent checking the levels and do a lot of PWC if anything arises.

Back
Top Bottom