How can you tell when your tank has cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well if I don't get good advice on doing a cycle while fish are in the tank I might not have to worry about how big Pacu gets. I'll continue to research but sometimes you need straight advice for what your going through. Your cousin can contact you but I have no one to contact. It said no question is a dumb question when I entered. I felt it wouldn't hurt to get advice here since the people so far have been real helpful. From what I know I would think I should just keep doing water changes on a regular basis. Can anyone give me any advice on doing a cycle while fish are in the tank?

greenmagi said:
you can do a fish in cycle.. thats the way the old timers did it :oops: LOL... you just do water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels down.. :mrgreen: the fish usually do fine unless the water changes are not done often enough or the percentage isnt high enough.. you need to test for these.. ammonia and nitrite.. unless you plan on doing very large water changes every day or two.. wich would be alot of water on your tank.. you should seed the filter with media from your 55 by the way.. you might only have to wait a few days to a week for a cycle to complete that way! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That is good advise :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
If you want more then just ask.. Im more than happy to help.. :D

A fish in cycle without testing is done with HUGE water changes OFTEN.. around 50-75% every other day.. thats the best advise I can give you unless you test your water..

:oops: Sorry wasn't trying to say it wasn't good I appreciate it.

Damn that's alot of water. GreenMagi is it because the toxin levels build up so quick? I'm going to get a real testing kit ASAP. Is there any particular one I should look into? :fadein:

115 gallons every other day!! For test kits, I've heard Aquarium Pharmaceuticals is good.

Its not that they buid up so quickly, they do build up relitively quickly sometimes.. It is the fact that the compounds Ammonia a Nirtite are poison to your fish.. thats why they have to be redused to acceptable levels..
What do you mean by a real testing kit? Do you have a testing kit of some kind and if so does it have ammonia and nitrite tests?

Blazeherd2306 said:
115 gallons every other day!! For test kits, I've heard Aquarium Pharmaceuticals is good.

Its alot of water but thats what it takes!
And I would recomend AP tests! thats what I use..LOL :D

Ok you all have been a great help. It's almost embarrasing but I've been using testing strips. You just compare the levels to the colors on the bottle. I've been told a couple of time by Jchillin these are not acceptable for proper measurement. Once I get the kit I'll do my measurements and come back with my results.

Use the test strips untill you get a liquid kit.. What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels according to the test strips?

Tiger_Oscar said:
I've been told a couple of time by Jchillin these are not acceptable for proper measurement.

Just not truly reliable. The color chart leads to some incredible interpretations. Most of the time, the NO3 reading is the most suspect. You won't have that problem with the AP kit. :D

Looks like you got a ton of advice regarding the tank and cycling. Keep the faith...you have some work to do but I'm sure you're up to it. (y)

greenmagi said:
Use the test strips untill you get a liquid kit.. What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels according to the test strips?

40 nitrate
3.0 nitrite
75 hardness
40 alk
6.2 Ph

I know most of these are off right now but I'm more concerned with the nirite levels. Also the strips don't measure for ammonia which I know can kill the fish. tomorrow I'm going to get my testing kit. Also tomorrow I plan to do a 50% water change.

Jchillin said:
Tiger_Oscar said:
I've been told a couple of time by Jchillin these are not acceptable for proper measurement.

Just not truly reliable. The color chart leads to some incredible interpretations. Most of the time, the NO3 reading is the most suspect. You won't have that problem with the AP kit. :D

Looks like you got a ton of advice regarding the tank and cycling. Keep the faith...you have some work to do but I'm sure you're up to it. (y)

The strip can me misleading. There good for quick test but I should have a real kit.

Yeah all the advice has been very helpful. There's going to be some work but I have 2 cuz I don't want to loose a single fish. I'd rather find a home for Pacu before I let him die in there.

If you did a 50% water change at the time of the test you would be at high nitrate levels.. I would do a 75% when you are planing your water change..

the only problem is you didnt give us your tap-water PH level..
that and what water conditioner are you using.. if I were you I would have invested in a BIG bottle of prime when you ordered your test-kit online..

Back
Top Bottom