how cool is this!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazycat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i'm sitting here next to my now dark tank, listening to my loaches CLICKING! i had heard that they make this noise, but i had never heard it before. my main set of lights were off, and the secondary set were still on, and i threw a few algae wafers in the tank, and all of a sudden it's a chorus of clicks! and they're LOUD! i guess i'd never heard them over hte fans of my main lights--or never stopped to listen--but now that i have, i'm am SO psyched! this is totally the coolest thing!

just had to share. i love my fish!

Yes, they do click. Which loaches do you have? My skunk loaches do that all the time, and are very loud. Not sure if I've heard the yoyo's do it, if they even do, but the skunk loaches, all the time. Tey are such fascinating creatures. :mrgreen:

yoyos, angelicus and clowns--not sure who's doing it, but i think it's the yoyos! sooooooooo neato!

whoever it is, they're LOUD! i can't believe i've never heard it before! i am so loving this! verbal fish! who knew?

After second thoughts, it might be the angelicus. Might want to watch them sometime. When my skunks do it, they are usually playing with each other, playing tag. :)

You will soon notice what your Clown Loaches favourite food is, since the fish will produce a clicking sound when it eats this food. A clicking sound from a Clown Loach means that the fish is content. The Clown Loach can be reluctant to try new food, but will usually be convinced sooner or later if you persist. Sometimes the formerly shunned food will turn out to be a favourite.

http://www.clownloach.info/feeding.php

this makes loaches sound really neat. How big do they get? Well, i don't suppose they would do well with my bichir, and they probably would outgrow my 20 gal huh... Well, for my next tank! hehe :mrgreen:

i'm not sure how they would do with the bichir--it depends how big the bichir is. clown loaches get very big--i've seen a 9" one and heard that they get up to 12"--a big one would be ok with a bichir i think. but the angelicus loaches only get to be about 3" and would be ok in your 20g. won't the bgk eat your danios? if not, then you could have loaches, but i'm not sure if you can add the bioload--loaches like to be in groups. also--won't the bgk outgrow the 20g--is he destined for the 55?

(and how jealous am i of your horse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :)

i'm not sure how they would do with the bichir--it depends how big the bichir is. clown loaches get very big--i've seen a 9" one and heard that they get up to 12"--a big one would be ok with a bichir i think.

My bichir is 5in maybe a little bigger. He has been keeping a steady growth of about an in per month. So i don't really see him fit to live with anyone, except his current tankmates or another bichir, I am very tempted to get another!

but the angelicus loaches only get to be about 3" and would be ok in your 20g. won't the bgk eat your danios? if not, then you could have loaches, but i'm not sure if you can add the bioload--loaches like to be in groups. also--won't the bgk outgrow the 20g--is he destined for the 55?

My BGK doesn't seem to bother anyone. I don't think he is big enough to snack on my danios yet. I did have him in the 55gal, but i was suprised to find that my bichir actually ate the end of his tail :( So i had to put him in the 20gal alone for about 2 weeks and medicated him with melafix until he healed up. In any case, I don't want to have him back in the 55 unless he is bigger than my bichir. I'd rather just find him a new home where he owuldn't have to worry about a crazy bichir bitting off his tail again.

Anyway...I think after my bgk finds a new home. I will deffinatly look into some loaches. I read about them last night and there seems to be a ton of them, and they all seem really neat.

(and how jealous am i of your horse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

hehe thanks! I love her to death! :D

PS sorry for borrowing your topic for a little bit :p

np--i'm a major fan of loaches and could talk about them all day! :) when you get some, you will know what i mean ;)

My clowns click all the time, I'm not sure why but I don't think it's solely "content".

I have a piece of 3/4" conduit that the clowns call home (despite me not liking it in there). I will hear them clicking extremely loud as they try to force another further into the tube so it can fit in. They will also click for algae wafers, shrimp pellets at other stuff (rocks and wood)..

The Balas are much louder, and it's a function of them snapping their jaw from the looks of it, (trying to pick things up/off) such as algae.

but they are great to watch, and listen. tho the first time I heard it I thought my tank was cracking.

The Yoyo's and the Angelicus both click. Most true loaches should. I believe it is the sound of the "spike" under thier eyes snicking in and out.

Japola44 said:
this makes loaches sound really neat. How big do they get? Well, i don't suppose they would do well with my bichir, and they probably would outgrow my 20 gal huh... Well, for my next tank! hehe :mrgreen:

Not sure how they would get along with the bichir, but the skunk loaches are aggressive, fast, stay small, and very noisy, lol. It would probably be the skunks chasing the bichir rather than the bichir chasing the skunks, lol. They are so aggressive. I love the clicking. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom