How dirty is your sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biggen

Aquarium Advice Addict
My sump is totally incrusted with precipitation of Ca I am guessing. The hard brown junk on the heater is the exact stuff that is covering the walls and bottom of the sump. This stuff is thick. Also looks like some various tube worms have made a home in it.

I am just curious is everyone is experiencing the same thing. This sump is fairly new as well as I replaced the old incrusted sump with this new one about 3-4 months ago. I auto dose Kalk into the sump 24/7.

I am wondering if this precipitation I am seeing on my sump may be tied into my Ca and Alk problems I had and still kinda have. Even with using 100% saturated kalk water, I still have to add a 1 TBS of buffer everyday to keep the Alk around 8-9 DKH. I also have to boost my Ca as well every once in a while, though I can't every get it above 375ppm. Am I simply precipitating all of this out and it is getting on the sump walls?

I clean mine, since I do my water changes out of it. I try to syphon most of the debris from the bottom when I do my changes and regularly wipe everything down with wet paper towel to get rid of the slime ring.

Here is the thing, there is no way I am going to be able to clean this puppy without using vinegar. That is how bad the precipitation is.

Just use a razorblade. Those little hand razors for getting paint off windows do wonders, it will sheet right off.

Oh, I have done this before and I can tell you to go ahead and put a towel or something in the bottom if its really that bad. Those flakes will take you forever to pick out one by one and won't vaccum or be taken by a PH easily. Good luck.

Oh, I have done this before and I can tell you to go ahead and put a towel or something in the bottom if its really that bad. Those flakes will take you forever to pick out one by one and won't vaccum or be taken by a PH easily. Good luck.

I may just replace the sump and start over. Its pretty bad...

Back
Top Bottom