How do I feed this guy? Will my Clown love him?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XXFirefighter

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got him pretty cheap, LFS said my new tank raised perc should go to him... Was he tellin me the truth? How or what do I feed? Will my mush be enough or do I need to direct feed ? Do I have to defrost my mush to feed it to him? LFS said he was a Sebae...
He's happy right where I put him, has not moved 1 cm. AND the clown is ignoring it :( I know I can't force the happines and the living arrangements, I want them to love each other though :)
Thanks guys !

sebae.jpg

That aneomones in bad condition. Hes really bleached, give him some meaty foods, and I think your light is to low for him. Its better to check this out before you buy. If you don't want to return him place him as high up as possible, but it may be ebst not to touch him for now. Just direct feed, and hope for the best. He should be a brownish/dark green color with no colored tips.

How old is your tank? You know not to be mean but here is what i think about anenomes. When people get an anenome and then post of what and how to feed it, then you havnt done enough research to keep one. Also if your tank is not at least 7 or 8 months old i would never even consider getting one. JMHO. But you can feed him silversides, shrimp and oyster.

Or other meaty foods.

I JUST got him... He looked the exact same in the LFS...
As for the lighting, I got 260 watts and he's up in the middle 3rd of the tank. Tank is over a month old. I will feed him some of my much that I make. The pic makes him look real white, he's a nice yellow color. He's been in the tank for 4 hours or so and already connected to the rock.

Try feeding him a piece of shrimp .Make sure he is uncooked and shelled. Mine are growing like mad, and they love them .

Personally i would take him back to the lfs. Also if he is yello this means he is most likely dyed. Which is really not good for the anenome. At least that is what i have read. But since your tank is only one month old i would return him. Also i know it is hard not to buy the stuff you want right when you tank gets done cycleing but you really need to wait. You have lots of time. Take your time. That is just my opinion.

I will stay away from the "your tank is too young..." debate. As for your clown, it is a crap shoot if they will pair up. What type of anenome did the LFS tell you it was? If your clown is tank-raised, chances are it has never seen and anenome before and might be unsure what he is suppose to do with it. Maybe his instincts will kick in, who knows. If you end up keeping this animal good luck and let us know how it does. Lando

It is not dyed, its just bleached which mean hes lost his zooxanthellae inside his body. This is his primary food source, and they loose it due to insufficient light. Your light is not strong enough for a sebae plain and simple. Yet if you insist on keeping him feed him whole foods not mush. IMHO he won't last to long. Heres what they should look like http://www.usinternet.com/users/dsapp/sebae2.JPG

That is what they look like when there healthy. As you can see yours is severely bleached. You might as well get your money back, ecspecially if he dies in such a young tank, you could have a huge spike and loose everything.

Six-Line said:
It is not dyed, its just bleached which mean hes lost his zooxanthellae inside his body. This is his primary food source, and they loose it due to insufficient light. Your light is not strong enough for a sebae plain and simple. Yet if you insist on keeping him feed him whole foods not mush. IMHO he won't last to long. Heres what they should look like http://www.usinternet.com/users/dsapp/sebae2.JPG

That is what they look like when there healthy. As you can see yours is severely bleached. You might as well get your money back, ecspecially if he dies in such a young tank, you could have a huge spike and loose everything.

THAT is what he's supposed to look like? He looked NOTHING like that in the store ! NOTHING ! It looks like he's got more color this morning on him then he did when I first got him ! He's pretty colse to the top of the tank. He's got 260 watts of light on him now... He's like 8 inches from the surface IF that. SUPER bright light on him....

I'll watch him for awhile and see what happens. I really can't belive what I got and what that pic is, was the same thing... You know more then me but can it be a different guy?

Six-Line said:
He should be a brownish/dark green color with no colored tips.

Actually, the Sebae Anemones have a wide variety of colors - from green to purple to pink, but are usually found in a light tan to dark brown. And they can have purple tips.

I have a nice picture of one that looks very similar to yours, Firefighter, but I don't know how to include it in the post....

Sorry dolphin you are wrong. Those pics are of a very badly bleached anemone. Please know what your talking about before you try to give bad advice.

Fire-- It may be ok where it is. It is not to late, he can very well recover and get back to his correct color. As dolphin stated there are variations, but tips should not be present. They may be different colors but they should be a very dark solid color. When there shipped there in dark boxes, and low light facilities. They will expel there zooxanthellae, or will loose it gradually. Keep him well fed, mabye a whole shrimp every 3 days until you see some improvement. If hes getting darker thats a good sign. Heres another picture of a lighter sebae in great shape http://home.t-online.de/home/Kreuer.Dieter/Aqua/Seewassr/HeteracS.JPG

Good LUCK (y)

Six-line, I hope that my Marine Biology degree is not going to waste. Granted, my main focus is not inverts, but still. I think his anemone looks fine.

YES the tips are a sign of poor health. They can be present in a healthy anemone but it should be a very dark brown/green over all. They also need metal halide lighting long term. There also one of the more difficult anemones. Firefighter please bring it back, it won't last. If you think his anemone looks fine mabye you should do some research, because I know what a sick anemone looks like.

Well the picture of the sebae anemone that I posted is from the marine depot live website. SEE THE PURPLE TIPS? I don't think they would post a picture of a sick anemone. Goodness.

"The Sebae anemone (Heteractis malu) can be cream, brown, gray green, purple, or yellow (with dyes). It sometimes has magenta tips with white rings. The oral disc is sparse with tentacles, that are short and stubby."

First of all any site that states dyes is really no good. Dyes are used to make a bleached anemone look colorful. Im sorry but im not going to argue with you. That is a bleached anemone, whether you like it or not. BTW im sure marine depot has expert anemone care takers that devote every second to the care of their specimens :roll: Please do some research before you tell me im wrong. Ive done m yreading, you obviously haven't.

Back
Top Bottom