how do i know if my fish is pregnant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monkey471

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi
someone said my platy was pregnant another said she wasn`t how do tell if she is or isn`t? do i need to move the babies to a sepret tank if she does have babies i have 2 blood parrots, 2 kuhli loaches, 2 tetras, 2 platys, 2 glow fish, and an upside down catfish and any advise on raising them. :D

Try to find gravid spot on it should be by bottom fin. Mine is prego right now. Also should be little fatter. Platys give live birth. Parents will eat young. Gravid spot grayish blackish.

Put female in separate tank if she is. Like breeder box. Alone she will have a couple batches of them.

can i have a pic of a pregant platy and i have the female in a septet tank but should i put anything in it?
gravle
marbols
plants
rocks

I would put some hiding places for fry (baby's) because they will eat them and maybe some rocks and stuff if you want. Gravid. Spot won't be as dark on platy can't see well on mine don't have good camera

Attachments

• image-1551905223.jpg
    image-1551905223.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 618
thank you

thank you so much now i know exacly what to look for

monkey471 said:
thank you so much now i know exacly what to look for

Welcome ! Need any more info ask! Platy expert right here! Lol I jut like em.

i have what i think is a black stripped tetra, could be another kind.... is it pregnant??? how do i tell if i have male's or females? I have 4 left that i've had for about 5 year's and one just started looking pregnant.

How do i insert a picture of it to this thread... the insert image icon just pop's up as a red x when i try to use it...

serenitytrip6 said:
i have what i think is a black stripped tetra, could be another kind.... is it pregnant??? how do i tell if i have male's or females? I have 4 left that i've had for about 5 year's and one just started looking pregnant.

How do i insert a picture of it to this thread... the insert image icon just pop's up as a red x when i try to use it...

:( not an expet on tetras yet but to add pic go to advanced setting and click add photo. I mostly use the app though sorry if I'm no help. She will get fat though :) make sure it isn't bloat.

serenitytrip6 said:
pic of my tetra

Hi. It's usually advised you start your own thread if you have a question.
Your tetra looks to have severe bloat. It could be from a number of reasons. Poor water quantity can be a contributing factor, constipation, internal parasites, dropsy, infection or a tumor. How long has the fish been like this? Is the tank cycled? What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH? What do you feed him? What size tank and what other fish?

Hi. It's usually advised you start your own thread if you have a question.
Your tetra looks to have severe bloat. It could be from a number of reasons. Poor water quantity can be a contributing factor, constipation, internal parasites, dropsy, infection or a tumor. How long has the fish been like this? Is the tank cycled? What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH? What do you feed him? What size tank and what other fish?

Had the fish for about 5 years now, just noticed it getting bigger probably 3 or 4 months ago... what do you mean by cycled? Lives in a 29 gallon tank, but was in a 10 with maybe 5 other's of the same kind and a cleaner fish.... Other fish in this tank are Blood Fins, Neon Tetras, Fan Tail Guppies, a couple Cleaner fish, and it's own kind... Don't have anything to check the water with.... Have to say i never have in the 6 year's i've had fish tanks. They are all fed that tetra dry flake fish food that everystore seems to have.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html
This will explain cycling and proper maintenance. Has the fish got a bent spine? My first thoughts are either tumor or internal parasites. Is the fish pooping? What color is it?

Fish looks normal, no bent spine or discoloring... haven't noticed any poop but it's very possible it does it when i'm not around. It eat's and swims just fine too. Usually the first one to the food out of the 4 of it's kind in the tank

Did you read the link?
Try fasting him for a few days and feed a blanched, crushed, deshelled pea. See if that makes a difference. I doubt it will but it's worth a try. IMO its something terminal.

Back
Top Bottom