How do you clean acrylic aquariums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyper27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had a 29 gallon acrylic aquarium for about 3 years now with some gravel on the bottom and an aquaclear 50 hanging on it. I want to clean it up so I can start up on a new fancy goldfish tank. I heard that acrylic aquariums require special care, any tips here?

I've had a 29 gallon acrylic aquarium for about 3 years now with some gravel on the bottom and an aquaclear 50 hanging on it. I want to clean it up so I can start up on a new fancy goldfish tank. I heard that acrylic aquariums require special care, any tips here?
Well, acrylic is a lot stronger then glass, and much lighter. The problem is it gets scratched really easily, so using acrylic safe products is probably one or even the only way to go. The idea to this is to prevent scratches. Also, use very soft cloths.

If you can find a place that has a decent auto care supply selection then you may be able to find super soft cloth. It's the same stuff that diapers are made of and they're used to wash cars without putting micro scratches in the paint.

If you run them through the washer and dryer a few times they get even softer.

Back
Top Bottom