How do you know when a guppy is done giving birth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjohanso

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 female guppies and all are very pregnant. All 3 are boxy looking. I noticed 1 fry this morning and 9 hours later I have 5 total fry. All 3 guppies still look boxy so I cannot tell who gave birth to be able to tell who is done & can be removed from my birthing tank. All 3 still have the black dot too. All 3 are eating too. None of them are yelling for an epidural or screaming at the males at how much they hate them either. HAA HAA HAA HAA Couldn't help it. :)

I have a lot of ground cover for the fry to hide in, but when you have 3 momma's around I am worried. Plus one of the little boogers has a death wish because it swims around the top near the females as if it is schooling already. The other 4 stay completely still on plant leaves.

I just can't tell who can be put back into the regular tank & who still hasn't given birth????? Any ideas.........

they can give birth over a period of days and not all at once.........

i would just leave them all in the aquarium and that way only the hardiest of the babies will survive by hiding and scourging for food;) that means u will have hardier future stock;)

i would stuff the tank with as many floating plants ossible if u want all of them to survive.........and DON"T overfeed, just maybe 4 feedings a day as fry have smaller stomachs than adult fish so they need smaller mroe frequent feedings.

Thank you... I bought a fake plant grid that covers about a 5x5 area that is perfect on the bottom for the fry. Plus there are several real plants & a hide a cave. Survival of the fittest I guess!!! hee hee
The fry are sooooo stinkin cute it's hard to realize that they can be a meal if they don't watch it.

ur welcome;)

but yes, survival of the fittest
survivor on dsicovery channel, except guppy version;)

and well, ur fish will get some fun;) food.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom