How long is too long...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
...to keep testing the water during the weekly PWCs?

I've had my tank up and running now for over a year and have over 3 pages of log data on my tank's parameters from my PWCs, testing for the biggies: pH, ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte.

My readings have been very consistent, the water quality is great and crystal clear.

On the one hand, I'm thinking to keep up the weekly tests for a couple of reasons: so I can pinpoint a problem before it becomes a tank-killer, and to not waste the test kits (which do have "use by" dates)...

I personally would still do the weekley tests like you have been doing with the exact same thought of catching a possable problem before it is too late.
As far as wasteing test kits I more or less just figure it into my operating expanses as far as my tanks go. Another thing you could do is the tests that use an even number of drops cut it back to 1/2 a vial of water and cut the drops in half. Nitrate for example would be 5 drops of each solution instead of the 10 you would normally use. I have been doing this and compared the two tests and notice no difference. You could also probably get creative for the tests with an odd number of drops but I have not tried to do so.

My vote = keep testing and keep up with the logs.

That was what I wanted to hear...my wife keeps complaining that testing the water in all the tanks is like my own little mad scientist lab, but I tell her it's needed to make sure the tanks stay healthy.

That was what I wanted to hear...my wife keeps complaining that testing the water in all the tanks is like my own little mad scientist lab, but I tell her it's needed to make sure the tanks stay healthy.

Wow does that sound familar. I think I found your wifes twin.:lol:

I personally would still do the weekley tests like you have been doing with the exact same thought of catching a possable problem before it is too late.
As far as wasteing test kits I more or less just figure it into my operating expanses as far as my tanks go. Another thing you could do is the tests that use an even number of drops cut it back to 1/2 a vial of water and cut the drops in half. Nitrate for example would be 5 drops of each solution instead of the 10 you would normally use. I have been doing this and compared the two tests and notice no difference. You could also probably get creative for the tests with an odd number of drops but I have not tried to do so.

The 1/2 drops is a good idea. I never thought of that.

As for testing, I stopped doing anything but a nitrate test a long time ago. In my 55g planted tank I can't cause an ammonia spike even if I try so I gave up worrying about ammonia and nitrite tests.

But in my salt water tank, I still do them and even then I am going to slow down the frequency because i haven't had a reading other than 0 for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in a month.

Completely agree with this, keep doing it weekly.

The 1/2 drops is a good idea. I never thought of that.

As for testing, I stopped doing anything but a nitrate test a long time ago. In my 55g planted tank I can't cause an ammonia spike even if I try so I gave up worrying about ammonia and nitrite tests.

But in my salt water tank, I still do them and even then I am going to slow down the frequency because i haven't had a reading other than 0 for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in a month.

I like the 1/2 drop idea, too. I might give that a go next time around, esp. since I use a syringe to fill the tube, I can easily measure out 2.5mL of water.

My freshwater tanks are solid as a rock, and the 'trates are the only thing I really am interested in.

My SW tank is still "young", up and running with fish for a little over 2 months (after a 2.5 month cure and cycle). Ammonia and nitrite are flatlined at zero, and have been since the beginning. NitrAtes are starting to drop rapidly to 5ppm or less after I switched to an every-other-day feeding schedule, and I mix it up with pellets and PE Mysis.

Hello d...

The testing kits are essentially for people who for whatever reason aren't able to change the tank water regularly. If you're one of the water change fanatics, that change half the water in the tank every week or two, you really don't need the test the tank water very often.

The reason being: large, frequent water changes guarantee stable water conditions for the fish and plants. So, there's no need to test the water.

B

I don't remember the last time I tested. I seem to recall testing nitrate once in the house we live in now and we have been here over a year. Once your tanks are stable and you get experienced at noticing strange fish behavior I don't believe its necessary to test weekly. It seems rather excessive IMHO. You could easily cut back to once every few months unless you have a new tank, a high tech planted or a SW to keep an eye on.

I've got a SW that I test weekly...I think I'll stick it out; I do the testing while the water is draining into my rose beds, so it's not eating any extra time...yet.

The fish are living beings who can't tell you when things aren't right. They don't need to be walked; they don't need to have their hooves trimmed; they don't need to go to the groomer; they don't need shots. If all they need to prevent health problems is a weekly water test and PWC, why would we wait until a fish is obviously under the weather? My fur kids' vets love my preventive, and if I had a fish vet, I'd follow his/her advice. My horse vet has three aquaria, and he does PWCs every week and has a master test kit that he uses, so that's good enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom