How many blue/green cromis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turbosnail

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 29 gallon reef tank and want a school of blue cromis. How many can I put in the tank? They will be the only fish w/cuc and corals. The lfs said eight but that sounds like way too many. Thanks for your help.

In a 29 I would do 3 to 5 and no more. Your LFS is trying to make a sale. Remember that.

Eight?!! Wow, I'd definitely get a new LFS.

I'd only put three in, max. But the problem with that is that you're getting close to filling your tank with just one type of fish. Maybe it'd be better to skip the chromis and go with a bigger variety? Unless you really like chromis...

Ok thanks guys. I will think about getting three. I like the idea of a school but three is not that many, bigger tank here we come:) The lfs also said to put all eight in at once. I said that I have only had one fish in my tank and it could not handle the bioload. They said it was not a problem. Lol. That sounded insane so I decided to ask you guys. The closest lfs aside from them is over two hundred miles away. I will just shop at live aquaria.

classklown90 said:
if your goona go with chromis get the "blue reef kind", they go by different names but they are a very dark blue and usually sell for in the high teens. You could do 3-4 in your 29.

Those are really cool looking. Do you think I could have two schools in a larger tank? One of the lighter cromis and one of the darker ones.

Kurt_Nelson said:
200 miles... ouch! Well, maybe you don't have to find a new LFS - just don't take their advice!

Yeah is is inconvenient, I will probably just order online and just use the lfs for emergencies. I do like to go into the lfs to see how fish look/act in person.

depends on how large of a tank you mean. im sure with a 75 gallon you could have two small schools of maybe 5-6 without problems

Back
Top Bottom