How many fish ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lawlessr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all just wanted to know how many fish i should keep in my 32g (120L) tank . I have 2 medium angle fish , 2 5" discus , 2" "2 barbs ,6 rummy nose tetras,2 austrailia rannbow,and about 10 cardenel tetras is this two many to have in my tank.:):):)

A general rule of thumb is 1" of fish per gallon but the is subjective as some fish are long and skinny so you can deduct some of the length and some fish are extra dirty, like plecos, so you can't have quite as much.
Also some fish are territorial and require more room.
Be carefull those barbs don't nip the fins on your angel fish. My barbs took chunks out of the tail fins on my dwarf gouramis so now they live in my cichlid tank.

How many fish

My barbs seem to be not bothered with the angel they are in the same tank for about 2 months now and no problems .That one inch rule is a bit hard to work out because there is so many shapes and sizes.

Do you use a qt tank for new fish i never have but everyone else seams to is it a bad idea not to have one.:):(:):(:)

When you think of rule of thumb of 1 inch to a gallon, look up and see what the adult size will be. One angel is about 5 inches, one discus is 10 inches, most barbs are about 2 to 3 inches, rummy nose 2 inches, rainbows 3 to 6 inches depending on the type, and the cardinal is about 1.5 inches.

I do use a QT tank. It is much easier to treat a small QT tank with a couple of fish in it than my main tank should a new purchase carry some disease, parasite ect.. with it.

Thats good to know joy 13.
Would a fish bowl do for a qt tank or do i need filter heater and light .
How long would i keep them in qt.:confused:

A bowl will work fine if the water is kept clean for smaller fish but use a heater and filter. For bigger fish if you can get a new bucket about 5 gallons use a filter and heater it would work good. Wild caught fish like otocats I keep in QT for a month, farm raised 2 weeks, privately raised fish I don't QT unless I see something that doesn't look quit right, but usually private breeders are very careful since their breeding stock can be wiped out instantly.

Cheers for that i will have to look into a qt tank, its all money, money ,money its worth it to have a nice tank you are proud off.:D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom