How many ottos should I have.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thats not your fattest!?!? shes huge.and i agree,ottos are very interesting little fish.

Yeah I love my ottos I think it's funny when they swimoffof what ever they are eating and try and school with my black neons lol. I like plecos too but they do put out a big bioload. I haven't hardly seen any diatoms since I got the ottos but it is the green spots I still have. I've got high lighting in my tank. Maybe i'll look into getting a pleco too but i'll wait till I have added all the other fish I want and i'll see if there is still room.

Also, a single pleco has the bioload of probably 7 or 8 otos, even as a juvie, plus, they don't eat algae consistently and they're not as active or fun to watch. Just my opinion. =]

How many ottos with 6 baby 4 adult Endler's, 1 Nerite, 5 RCS in a planted 10g, nine different varieties, and assorted pond snails...

I'm not sure of the validity, but I read an article a bit ago that green spot algae is not enough for Otos to survive on because it is too fused on to the surface for them to effectively remove. If that's all you've got...I'd start supplementing to be safe. Mine love the Hikari algae wafers and also blanched zucchini.

BTW, did I have a seizure or was the site down for a while?

It was down for a few minutes, I couldn't get on either. =] And yeah, my otos mostly eat hair algae that grows on the plants. They have plenty to eat but we're not gonna get more for stocking reasons.

Yeah, you'll need to leave your lights on longer to make sure they don't run out of food then.

im just gonna supplement,the lights sta on fairly long as it is.

Okay, but if they don't eat the supplements (some don't), be prepared to grow algae for them.

Rosenweiss said:
Yeah, you'll need to leave your lights on longer to make sure they don't run out of food then.

I don't agree with leaving the lights on for longer. Ottos dont eat all types of algae. Best way to make sure Ur ottos don't starve is to feed them blanch zucchinis and algae wafers. Though ottos gets picky and most don't eat algae wafers so zucchinis is ur best bet!

U can also grow Ur own algae using sunlight. Leave a aquarium safe rock in a container with aquarium water. Algae should grow from that! :)

eco23 said:
This isn't even my fattest one, she just happened to be there when the camera was out.

A lot of people view Otos as utilitarian and just there to clean up, but I love the little guys. they are really fun to watch. They play with each other and even work as a team to clean up little sections.

Just because of my personal taste, I'd always choose having a bunch of little fish over one larger one. Plecos have a huge bio-load, and I'd rather add a few more Otos and some Amano shrimp in their place.

Wow! Haha tbh I'm not sure how to disguise between bloated and pregnant ottos! But my ottos ain't as fat as that! Hahaha nice work if it is pregnant :)

Btw does any of Ur Ottos go pale when in darkness? One of mine does! Freaked me out but found that it's normal after research! Haha

can you keep otto's on their own and how big do they get? whats the smallest sized tank that would be appropriate for them or does it depend on the amount of live plants, etc, in the tank?

I know when i first bought my otos for my 40 gallon i bought only three because i was getting an over load of cory eggs. and when i upgraded and moved all fish from the 40 to my 120 gallon i bought more. i feed mine algae wafers, bits of flake and frozen blood worms.

Wow! Haha tbh I'm not sure how to disguise between bloated and pregnant ottos! But my ottos ain't as fat as that! Hahaha nice work if it is pregnant :)"

"Btw does any of Ur Ottos go pale when in darkness? One of mine does! Freaked me out but found that it's normal after research! Haha
Not pregnant or bloat I don't think...just a fat little fish, lol.
Never seen that, hard to find the little buggers in the dark though.

can you keep otto's on their own and how big do they get? whats the smallest sized tank that would be appropriate for them or does it depend on the amount of live plants, etc, in the tank?
I believe they like to be in a group of 3 or more,they definitely interact with each other a lot. I've heard 30 gallons as the recommended minimum and they thrive in heavily planted and established tanks.

they didnt eat the algae wafer i put in,so tonight im gonna blanch some cucumber
I wouldn't give up yet, mine took a few tries to realize it was food, especially the zucchini. And they also don't always park themselves on top of the wafer, they kind of hang out around it catching the debris that falls off.

Not pregnant or bloat I don't think...just a fat little fish, lol.
Never seen that, hard to find the little buggers in the dark though.

I believe they like to be in a group of 3 or more,they definitely interact with each other a lot. I've heard 30 gallons as the recommended minimum and they thrive in heavily planted and established tanks.

I wouldn't give up yet, mine took a few tries to realize it was food, especially the zucchini. And they also don't always park themselves on top of the wafer, they kind of hang out around it catching the debris that falls off.

i have 4 now in my 120 gallon and once i put any kind of food in the tank i.e. zucchini, algae wafers, frozen blood worms they come out and park themselves right on top of it. mine are a dark in colour. with them being pale could just be their colouring or it could be that they are stressed a bit. they don't get that big in length cause mine are only about 1 inch to an 1 inch 1/2 long.

Back
Top Bottom