How many ottos should I have.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not pregnant or bloat I don't think...just a fat little fish, lol.
Never seen that, hard to find the little buggers in the dark though.

I believe they like to be in a group of 3 or more,they definitely interact with each other a lot. I've heard 30 gallons as the recommended minimum and they thrive in heavily planted and established tanks.

I wouldn't give up yet, mine took a few tries to realize it was food, especially the zucchini. And they also don't always park themselves on top of the wafer, they kind of hang out around it catching the debris that falls off.

it depends on the breed of otos you want to buy cause there's so many.the ones i have only grow to be about an 1-1 1/2 inch long. it is the one in the far back of the tube

Attachments

• Picture 081.jpg
    Picture 081.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 82
candy775 said:
it depends on the breed of otos you want to buy cause there's so many.the ones i have only grow to be about an 1-1 1/2 inch long. it is the one in the far back of the tube

I assume you're referring to the minimum tank size? The reason I've heard 30 gallons isn't because of their size, I believe it has to do with available food...those little guys can chew through some algae. They pretty much decimated the diatoms in my tank a few months ago in about 5 days. I think if the tank is too small...there's just not enough food to sustain them without heavily supplementing their diet, and as Rosenweiss said, a lot of them don't take to wafers or veggies.

eco23 said:
This isn't even my fattest one, she just happened to be there when the camera was out.

A lot of people view Otos as utilitarian and just there to clean up, but I love the little guys. they are really fun to watch. They play with each other and even work as a team to clean up little sections.

Just because of my personal taste, I'd always choose having a bunch of little fish over one larger one. Plecos have a huge bio-load, and I'd rather add a few more Otos and some Amano shrimp in their place.

That's called an oto pot belly! Usually the signs of a healthy oto. (and the sign that he is loving the food your feeding him!)

I assume you're referring to the minimum tank size? The reason I've heard 30 gallons isn't because of their size, I believe it has to do with available food...those little guys can chew through some algae. They pretty much decimated the diatoms in my tank a few months ago in about 5 days. I think if the tank is too small...there's just not enough food to sustain them without heavily supplementing their diet, and as Rosenweiss said, a lot of them don't take to wafers or veggies.

yes i agree most don't take to wafers or veggies and yes a tank size of 30 gallons is right if they are on their own and they are also a great in a community fish tank too.

I believe they like to be in a group of 3 or more,they definitely interact with each other a lot. I've heard 30 gallons as the recommended minimum and they thrive in heavily planted and established tanks.

I wouldn't give up yet, mine took a few tries to realize it was food, especially the zucchini. And they also don't always park themselves on top of the wafer, they kind of hang out around it catching the debris that falls off.
it fell apart last night,and was going to take it out tonight,but when i got home it was gone. i think they got it.

eco23 said:

O ok cool. How often do u recommend me to feed my 3 Otto blanched zucchinis? Im currently doin once a week. Algae seems to be low. I don't want to try algae wafers because my Betta will eat it before my ottos.

Hubert90 said:
O ok cool. How often do u recommend me to feed my 3 Otto blanched zucchinis? Im currently doin once a week. Algae seems to be low. I don't want to try algae wafers because my Betta will eat it before my ottos.

I do the zucchini once or twice a week and the wafers a couple of the other days. My Bolivian Ram loves the wafers, so I add one on each side of the tank right before lights out to give the Otos a chance. The Ram hasn't been interested in the zucchini yet.

Will they eat cucumber as well as zucchini or is there something special about zucchini?

rain87 said:
Will they eat cucumber as well as zucchini or is there something special about zucchini?

I think cucumbers are good too. Zucchini is just what I happened to grab at the store since I'd heard it mentioned numerous times (along with cucumber and other veggies). I peeled 2 of them, cut them into medallions, blanched them and froze the rest. It took them a couple tries to realize it was food.

Last edited:
Ooo eco2! My Ottos do eat algae wafers :) I only found out yesterday because I had to isolate my Betta as it was harassing my cardinals! They loved it! :) they seem so happy :D

Btw what kinda algae wafer do u use?

Hubert90 said:
Ooo eco2! My Ottos do eat algae wafers :) I only found out yesterday because I had to isolate my Betta as it was harassing my cardinals! They loved it! :) they seem so happy :D

Btw what kinda algae wafer do u use?

Currently I feed the Hikari brand algae wafers to the Otos and Omega One for my other fish, but once I'm out of my foods I'm going to try feeding New Life Spectrum exclusively for all my fish. There are some members on the forum who are willing to shed blood promoting NLS, and I figure if it's worth arguing over, I'll give it a try.

eco23 said:
Currently I feed the Hikari brand algae wafers to the Otos and Omega One for my other fish, but once I'm out of my foods I'm going to try feeding New Life Spectrum exclusively for all my fish. There are some members on the forum who are willing to shed blood promoting NLS, and I figure if it's worth arguing over, I'll give it a try.

Haha I think I know who u are talkin about :p ya i recently switch over to NLS for both my tropical and goldfish! Still thinking whether or not I should keep feeding bloodworms or be exclusive.

Hubert90 said:
Haha I think I know who u are talkin about :p ya i recently switch over to NLS for both my tropical and goldfish! Still thinking whether or not I should keep feeding bloodworms or be exclusive.

My fish (especially my Bolivian Ram) would plan a revolution and try to overthrow my leadership of the tank if I stopped feeding bloodworms, lol. At the very least they'd organize an out of aquarium expedition to the freezer to try and retrieve them :).

eco23 said:
My fish (especially my Bolivian Ram) would plan a revolution and try to overthrow my leadership of the tank if I stopped feeding bloodworms, lol. At the very least they'd organize an out of aquarium expedition to the freezer to try and retrieve them :).

Hahahahahhahahaha!! I reckon mine would do the same! :p

Back
Top Bottom