how many water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyric112209

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm doing a fish in cycle, my tank has been running for about a month I've been doing a little over 50% water changes every day, should I be doing more?? I finally got all my water tests the first test is from the 11th the 2nd test is from today..ammonia has gone up a little today..the other tests have stayed the same.should I do another water change today?

ForumRunner_20120913_161920.jpg

ForumRunner_20120913_161940.jpg

I'm sorry I can't give you a direct yes or no, I have horrible eyes and for the life of me can't see your results well. Generally so long as your tank isn't over stocked 50% a day should be plenty. You want to keep your ammo and nitrite below .50, closer or under .25 is best.

I've got 4 neon tetras and one ghost shrimp so I'm not overstocked

Holy nitrite spike Batman!

Fish in cycling....how long does it take for nitrites to get to zero
ForumRunner_20120915_085349.jpg

Just keep doing water changes multiple ones a day if needed and keep testing. You'll get through it, get those nitrites down though.

I've been doing a 50% water change a day....ill have to do a few it looks like...nitrite has been hanging around a lower level until I tested this morning

It happens when I was doing 2-3 water changes a day on 55 gallon when I first started. I didn't know and just bought a tank set it up and went and got like 30 African Cichlid's! Can you imagine? lol I went through a whole API master test kit in a month! And water changes? Oh man... I bought the python I was doing so many.

You'll be fine. Your on the right track.

I figured there's usually a spike and then goes back down right?

Back
Top Bottom