How much electricity to run a big tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fprintf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I am new here. My family is on a tight budget and was just given a 20 gallon tank. How much does it cost you to run your tanks in electricity each month?

I am really jonesing after a big tank to setup after this one is established. I used to run a 55 gal cichlid tank years ago and I think running the pump. heater, lights etc. added about $30 a month to the bill. If I make a play with my wife for the larger tank I'll need to be sure I budget for everything... I think a 55 will be big enough (an 80 would be nice), but if you have experiences with other tanks that is fine also!

Do any of you consider electric efficiency when purchasing equipment for your tanks? Or is it all about the same and considered a cost of the hobby?

[center:c0d98697b4] :smilecolros: Welcome to Aquarium Advice, fprintf! :n00b: [/center:c0d98697b4]
I don't want to know what my 6 tanks are costing 8O

Man, you are quick. I just found the calculator... looks like I have some homework to do. Thanks!

Welcome to AA!!! :wave: I don't want to think about what the tanks cost individually, I just chalk it up to being part of the hobby costs. LOL, denial is a wonderful thing!

Lighting and heating are the big killers cost-wise. Filter, air pump, and powerhead energy usage are surprisingly tiny in comparison.

Being in CT, there's not much you can do about the heater, but you can limit the lighting costs by putting the lights on a timer, and either using fake plants (0.5 WPG; 5 - 6 hours of light/day) or low-light plants (1-2 WPG; 8 - 10 hours of light/day).

I did the math on my 29gallon which has a 200 watt heater, and 4x20watt bulbs. figuring in the wattage per day, then times 30 days, it was under $15 a month.

considering your tank probably has 15 watts of lighting, you can figure under $10 a month if your electricity is $.08 per kilowatt hour.

i was trying to blame my aquariums for the electricity bill, when it was just the a/c

Electric resistance heaters are very ineffecient and energy hogs. Unfortunately, there is no other way to heat our aquariums. We all know that we're going to be paying lots more to heat our homes this winter. Here on Long Island, LIPA is passing along a surcharge for excessive power usage. This is a very real consideration.

Toirtis said:
QTOFFER said:
Lighting and heating are the big killers cost-wise.

...and depending on the usual ambient temperature of your home, heating can be either a real energy-hog, or use as little as the filter.

This is a very good point also. We keep our house at 68 - 70 in the winter. The tank temp right now is 78, so I have to maintain that 10 degree differential all winter long. At least we don't try to keep it at 65 daytime, 55 at night which is what was recommended in the 70s and early 80s.

The good thing about living in Phoenix is that the aquarium heater doesn't turn on much. The big cost for me is the ac so the fish don't suffocate, but I've found that the only time I have to run it any differently than I would have were my aquatic friends not present is when I'm on vacation. Otherwise the 29 gallon tank takes long enough to change temperature that it's perfectly fine to leave the ac off when I'm at work or church or gone for a day.

I've even wondered sometimes if it would be possible to have a goldfish-type pond with tropical fish in it. One stocked with some huge Clown Loaches would just be too cool.

fprintf said:
At least we don't try to keep it at 65 daytime, 55 at night which is what was recommended in the 70s and early 80s.

You will...just wait for those $200+/month heating bills to start rolling in now that oil/gas costs are skyrocketing.

no since worrying about it we all love our aquariums or we wouldnt be here...we will scrafice alot to keep them going and still get another set up if its a good deal....at least this is true for me

Back
Top Bottom