How much PAR ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireman731

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm setting up a 55 gal tank that's 48x13x18. I figured with 3 inches of substrate or so it would be about 15" deep. I don't want to go with c02. How much PAR at the substrate would be "too much" for a non c02 set up? I'm just keeping things like Java fern Amazon swords anibias nana tiger lotus water wisteria and rotala. I would like a little room to branch out with out plants possibly but I don't wanna be burning my tank or causing algae blooms, but I supposed I could just lessen and split the photo periods either way? I was looking at LED but anything that has lunar and is programmable with a timer to do dawn and dusk on its own is about 300 bucks, so I was looking at doing t5. The 55 has the big center brace with two separate versa tops 24" on it so I was thinking of doing two dual t5s instead of 1 long 48" but I'm not sure that's going to give me the look im trying to achieve.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So I'm setting up a 55 gal tank that's 48x13x18. I figured with 3 inches of substrate or so it would be about 15" deep. I don't want to go with c02. How much PAR at the substrate would be "too much" for a non c02 set up? I'm just keeping things like Java fern Amazon swords anibias nana tiger lotus water wisteria and rotala. I would like a little room to branch out with out plants possibly but I don't wanna be burning my tank or causing algae blooms, but I supposed I could just lessen and split the photo periods either way? I was looking at LED but anything that has lunar and is programmable with a timer to do dawn and dusk on its own is about 300 bucks, so I was looking at doing t5. The 55 has the big center brace with two separate versa tops 24" on it so I was thinking of doing two dual t5s instead of 1 long 48" but I'm not sure that's going to give me the look im trying to achieve.

Here is an excellent light: Amazon.com : Aquatic Life Light T5 HO 2-Lamp Link Fresh Aquarium Light, 48-Inch : Pet Supplies

Yah I saw that, it's disappointing that the timer only turns the light on and off and that it won't program the other cool functions like sun rise and sun set. I found a aquatic life edge led that has a built in timer that operates the sun rise and set and lunar lights with decent par and it's about 160 for the 48"

Do you have a link to that light?

The Sat+ does a gradual sunrise and sunset with the separate ramp timer added. But it won't automatically turn on the moonlight.

And supposedly at 12" it has 95-105 par and at 18 " it's 55-65.

Sounds like a pretty good light. I haven't seen any reviews or build threads with it yet. On paper, it sounds promising. If you get it, you should do a build thread and review so others can benefit from knowing if it's good or not. Anyways, at least aquaticlife is known for solid performing T5HO fixtures.

Def. Looks good on paper, don't see why this light won't grow some nice plants for you. A build thread is needed here!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

By the way I did contact current and by the end of the year they are supposed to be releasing a satellite led + pro, basically the same thing but with a build in timer.

By the way I did contact current and by the end of the year they are supposed to be releasing a satellite led + pro, basically the same thing but with a build in timer.

That's pretty sweet, I want something that can do split photo periods though. Atleast multi ramp settings..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom