How much sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MatthewM

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone I have a new tank in the workings! I got it used and cleaned it up but now I have it set up and my question is how much pool filter sand will I need to buy and how much is that stuff on average? The tank is a 125 oceanic its 6 ft. Long and I think 18 inches front to back! I want to have my sand bed at least 2 inches deep and closer to 3 would be fine with me!

Hi there, I've got a used tank in the works as well - I think the rule of thumb is 1 to 2 pounds of substrate to each gallon of water and I think that gets you about 2 inches. So maybe 3 lbs per gal for 3"?

I haven't gotten my substrate yet, so I'm not entirely sure.

I'd say about 125 lbs of sand for a 125 gallon tank. I just added 60 lbs of sand for a 60 g and it put me at about 2.5 inches.

I agree with @125pds of sand. I did a 55gal last month with 55pds of sand & its 2-3inches deep. Pfs usually comes in 50pd bags, so i would buy 3 & see how this appeals to you. You can always remove/add some as needed. Good luck with the new tank!! :)

Back
Top Bottom