How to fix aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is how I'd do my sump tank. They show live rock in the refugium here but that's where you'd be able to grow plants and add buffers that you want. You won't need a thick sand bed like that for freshwater tho. If you do plants in the fuge you'll need a light to hang over it.

Attachments

• image-441067779.jpg
    image-441067779.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 49
Hope this all helps. It might sound like a lot if work but you will thank yourself later for going with a sump. You will have much better water quality.

Rlavassor86 said:
Hope this all helps. It might sound like a lot if work but you will thank yourself later for going with a sump. You will have much better water quality.
That answered all my questions! Thank you for all your help and time. I really appreciate it. Diagrams are perfect! I have everything cleaned out and on my way to get all the plumbing.
Thanks again for everything. I'll post pics when I'm done:)

summercgreen said:
That answered all my questions! Thank you for all your help and time. I really appreciate it. Diagrams are perfect! I have everything cleaned out and on my way to get all the plumbing.
Thanks again for everything. I'll post pics when I'm done:)

Your welcome and good luck. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Rlavassor86 said:
Oh just make sure you let your silicone cure for 48 hours before you test it all.

Well it's done.... Tomorrow that is. Thanks to your help. Trying to find bulkheads for the aquarium was really difficult though. Here's the finished product.

Attachments

• image-3472107835.jpg
    image-3472107835.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 62
Rlavassor86 said:
Your welcome and good luck. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Now I'm on my way to get more plants which is much needed! I was thinking a black background. Any suggestions or criticism?
Excuse the pump. It's from my other tank. I'm going to move it to the sump.

Attachments

• image-2997895832.jpg
    image-2997895832.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 50
summercgreen said:
Now I'm on my way to get more plants which is much needed! I was thinking a black background. Any suggestions or criticism?
Excuse the pump. It's from my other tank. I'm going to move it to the sump.

I would go with a flat black paint for the back if you can get a roller back there.

Here's a pic of my 72 I just painted the back a couple weeks ago. I really like the blacked out look. It just makes everything else pop. If you can't paint a hang on background sheet would work fine too, but I prefer the painted look. It's looking good so far.

Attachments

• image-2397505340.jpg
    image-2397505340.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 49
Rlavassor86 said:
I would go with a flat black paint for the back if you can get a roller back there.

Here's a pic of my 72 I just painted the back a couple weeks ago. I really like the blacked out look. It just makes everything else pop. If you can't paint a hang on background sheet would work fine too, but I prefer the painted look. It's looking good so far.

It's too late to paint the back. I didn't even think of that. I do graphics so maybe ill just get a piece of flat black vinyl and use double sided tape on the corners. Darn:\
I like all your plants. What would you recommend for something fast growing and full? I know it will take time to look established, but I like the looks of your tank. I think I'm going to look for a bigger piece of wood. They are always so small in the LFS.

summercgreen said:
It's too late to paint the back. I didn't even think of that. I do graphics so maybe ill just get a piece of flat black vinyl and use double sided tape on the corners. Darn:\
I like all your plants. What would you recommend for something fast growing and full? I know it will take time to look established, but I like the looks of your tank. I think I'm going to look for a bigger piece of wood. They are always so small in the LFS.

Yea anything black works I just like how the black looks painted on the glass. My brother uses a black piece of felt with some sticky Velcro. Looks pretty decent. Most stem plants are pretty fast growing. I've got wisteria, water sprites, rotala verticillaris, 2 amazon swords, anubia and a moneywort. The wisteria, sprites, and the rotala all grow pretty fast for me.

Oh and I've got a jungle Val in there to but it's still small. My angels have destroyed my sprites and half of my verticillaris. But the ones I have left are starting to sprout little sister plants so I'm hoping by the end if the week they'll be ready for replanting. As long as they keep up this pace they should be

Were you ever able to get your sump flow rate fine tuned to how you want it?

You've given me an itch to build a sump for my 72 now. Thinking about plumbing it to the basement though since my stand has no cabinets. That sure would be convenient, have my sump right next to the sink down there. Make water changes so easy.

Rlavassor86 said:
Were you ever able to get your sump flow rate fine tuned to how you want it?

You've given me an itch to build a sump for my 72 now. Thinking about plumbing it to the basement though since my stand has no cabinets. That sure would be convenient, have my sump right next to the sink down there. Make water changes so easy.

Yes I did. Then I shut it off to make sure if the power goes out that It doesn't flood. Lol. That was my biggest concern. I read all the stories! I have one side flowing faster since the Bala sharks like currents. The other is slightly lower.
That would be so nice having a sink right close by. Mines not too far but its still a pain. Sorry for giving you the "ich" lol. But you walked me through it and I'm so happy with the outcome. Thank you.

Rlavassor86 said:
Yea anything black works I just like how the black looks painted on the glass. My brother uses a black piece of felt with some sticky Velcro. Looks pretty decent. Most stem plants are pretty fast growing. I've got wisteria, water sprites, rotala verticillaris, 2 amazon swords, anubia and a moneywort. The wisteria, sprites, and the rotala all grow pretty fast for me.

What about lighting though? I'm just using LED's.

summercgreen said:
What about lighting though? I'm just using LED's.

I'm pretty new to planted tanks so as far as lighting there are a lot if people here that can definitely help you out. Just start a thread in the planted section. I run coralife 4 bulb t5 ho lights on my planted tank with 2 6500k and 2 10000k bulbs and I'm seeing good growth from the plants I have. I know min is 1-2 watts of light per gallon but as far as how that translates over to led I'm not sure about. And I think that's for low light plants

I dose ferts twice a week as well. Right now I'm using LFS bought ferts but once those run out another member on here told me about gluteraldehyde that you can buy online. It's concentrated and makes like 2-1/2 gallons or something like that. If you make a post in planted section a user rivercats will be able to help you immensely. It usually doesn't take her long to respond. Check out her profile as well there's an absolutely beautiful 220 gal planted tank.

Rlavassor86 said:
I dose ferts twice a week as well. Right now I'm using LFS bought ferts but once those run out another member on here told me about gluteraldehyde that you can buy online. It's concentrated and makes like 2-1/2 gallons or something like that. If you make a post in planted section a user rivercats will be able to help you immensely. It usually doesn't take her long to respond. Check out her profile as well there's a absolutely beautiful 220 gal planted tank.

Okay I will do that. You've been a great deal of help once again. Keep in touch if you get your sump going;)

Back
Top Bottom