How to get rid of MTS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I tried local stores online but no one wants them, so how to I properly dispose of them?

Salt. It will guarantee they won't escape into a foreign habitat and reproduce. I suggest putting them in a cup or mug, use warm to hot water and saturate it with table salt.

You can also crush them in a paper towel, but when your doing large quantities that way, you can't always ensure that you got em all.

That's what I would do. Salt them or freeze them, and then toss them. I'm in LA area too and I can't find anything to do with these guys.

If you just want to get "rid" of them, why not boil them so the body can be pulled out and then crush the shells and use it to replenish the GH and KH in your tanks? The bodies of the snails could even be ground up and used for fish food or fed to larger fish as is. The color of the shells should blend with most any substrate.

I agree, some people buy them. I, for one, know I love mine, although I have a bunch.

couple of months ago when I started seeing population go up I believe under another post.
btw how would someone go upon shipping these things?
I guess ill post mts on its own and see. thanks

I'd ship them by just putting them in a ziploc back half filled with water and half filled w/air. I'm tempted to take them, but I'm afraid they'll take over my tank. I have pond snails in there and none seem to get very big though.

Most snails don't require water 24/7. A lot of times, depending on the snail, you can just wrap them up in a damp paper towel like shipping a plant and put em in a zip lock bag.

I've shipped MTS before, it's very easy. Just put them in a very damp paper towel with 2 algae wafers inside as well. When they get to their destination, they will be around the algae wafer, nice and cozy.

Back
Top Bottom