How to lower ph?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Bought a test kit and woah...ph between 7.4-8?? (the colors were close). Is this normal?? How do i lower this? Also, my nitrates were between 10-20, is this very bad? I know water changes help lower that...thanks guys! I always feel bad when i start a new thread asking probably stupid questions haha :p

From wha I've read around the net, a stable ph is the most important part. Some one can correct me if I'm wrong about all this but your's ph isn't that far off of neutral. Unless you're keeping some wild caught delicate species I wouldn't worry. If you're set on lowering it though you could try driftwood or using peat in your filter. I'd try to avoid the peat personally.

Add Driftwood + live plants and the PH will lower a bit. But most captive fish have been bred to survive (not but thrive) in higher PH water.

Whew.. So im good? I would really like to add dw to the tank, but it makes the water all brown, even when i boil it for hours and soak it for weeks...happened in my other tank..thanks guys! Ill do a water change soon to get those dang trates down

I have noticed that the ph in my tap water is already high. when i do my PWC i add distiled water from the store to the tap water. It will actually lower the ph.

I have noticed that the ph in my tap water is already high. when i do my PWC i add distiled water from the store to the tap water. It will actually lower the ph.

You shouldn't need to add anything to your water unless your PH is crazy high; how high is it? Distilled water also doesn't contain any minerals that the fish need to be healthy, so I'd stop adding the distilled. If anything add spring water instead, but your tap water itself should be fine. Fish adapt to your PH as long as it stays steady.

ph is around 8.0 where i live. True i have used nothing but tap in the past and they did fine. However i just got into tryin to keep a perfect ph balance in my tank. The distillied water does work but like i said you have to add it (in small amounts) to your tap. It just equals everything out if done properly.

I always had the idea that most fish wanted around 7, but it doeant matter if it doesnt flucuate? (Sp?)

When i first started i was using the tap without testing the ph lol. I then got into trying to keep all the proper levels. So i do know that my fish can live in a ph of 8 but like you i have always heard that it should be around 7.0 so thats what i try to keep it at now.

Back
Top Bottom