how to remove sand from LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Butters

Aquarium Advice Regular
i finally got my UC'd LR today and junked my argonite sand and put in the good stuff. now the water is cloudy (looks like milk) and ive noticed the sand is setteling on the rock along with the sand bed. should i remove the sand from the rock? if so how would i do that without making the water cloudy again?

genius :p :lol: thanks

btw...what should I do with the critters I find roaming in my tank from the LR? so far I have one white thing with black beady eyes and 2 tenticals swimming around. hes about 1/2 a mm in size. wont the critters die during the cycling process?

also my ammonia is already 8.0. and its been about 12 hours in the tank. is this normal?

nm time answered my own question. all the critters died.

but do I let the ammonia just cyle itself or do a few water changes? sorry to keep bugging yas with all the dumb questions...

well I got the sand off the rocks no problem but my rocks have turned completely white. no color at all. something doesnt seem right. perhaps my LR is totally dieing and becoming base rock? need help b4 its to late :cry:

Your ammonia seems extremely high, but the coraline should make a come back once the cycle is through. Where did you get the rock from, how long was it in transit?

i got the rock from etropicals.com it came from florida and was in transit less than

24 hours. since the ammonia is so high i dont think i need a shrimp.

a ton of dead things are floating on top too. one looks like a clear ooze about the size of a quarter. im taking them out cus i know that contributes to ammonia.

man my whole house stinks worse than when i had the 2 shrimp rotting in it. any suggestions other than 20 lbs of open baking soda boxes around my tank? :mrgreen:

bah i always leave out something....when i got home my tank was overflowing with bubbles and my protein skimmer was full of SMELLY dark brown liquid. i know the brown stuff is normal but how do i regulate it so the bubbles dont overflow my tank?

this is becoming a nightmare....whats running a bunch of carbon mean?

Granular Activated Carbon, removes toxins and smells from the water. Running cabon simply means putting a bag of GAC in an area of waterflow like your sump/filter.

run to your LFS and buy a good sized box of Activated Carbon. You'll also want to buy a "Media Bag" (unless you have something to put the carbon in to keep it from flowing into the tank)

Put the AC into the media bag and place it either in your sump or somewhere that water can flow over it. The AC will help to pull out some of the amonia and other chems.

i currently have 4 bags of activated carbon (if your referring to the black bag of stuff in my fluval) 2 came with it and i bought 2 more and put them in the empty tray. since i took out my bio balls should i grab 2 more bags (puches) of carbon to total 6 ? there are 3 sets of trays in my fluval tray 1 WAS bioballs/now empty
try 2 has 2 puhes carbon and tray 3 has 2 pouches carbon.

thanks for your help. i feel like im being a pain in the arse here :(

Back
Top Bottom