How to tell the difference

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If my local fish store has a label "algae eater" on their tank, how do I know if I'm getting an Otocinclus catfish or Chinese ?? I want an oto because they are peaceful and I heard Chinese can be mean and don't eat algae once older. Thanks guys!

This is just from what I have run into . So an expert by know a little better .

But m Chinese is a lighter color then the Otocinclus catfish.

do you have a cell phone that you can pull up pictures of each? if you aren't confident in identifying a fish, this would be the easiest way. otherwise typically you will see the otos in groups shoaling with each other and you won't see that as much with CAEs or SAEs. i wouldn't recommend getting any otocinclus yet. they need a well established, stable tank with a nice layer of algae/biofilm. most otos are wild caught and usually pretty sensitive in the beginning

Anything labeled "Algae eater" is most likely a chinese algae eater. Any store that will sell either siamese algae eaters or otos will label them as such because they are very popular and sell quickly.

Back
Top Bottom