Howdy Folks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccCapt

SW 20 & Over Club
Great site here. Lots of information and very interesting posts.
I've been keeping a 50 gal reef tank for about 15 yrs now. To make a long story short, about 2 yrs ago on a HOT summer day, I had a meltdown :-( Not sure if it was due to the fans on my metal halide failing or my heater sticking on, but one day I looked at the tank and it was so cloudy you can barely see thru it. The water temp was over 90 degrees and virtually every coral I had in the tank "melted". I lost a huge leather coral with was constantly dropping off "babies", lost all my green star polyps which started out on a small rock about the size of a baseball and ended up spreading over 1/4 of the tank, lost about 90% of the mushroom coral..same deal with them, started with a small rock with maybe 10 on it and they spread like wildfire, lost a beautiful hammer coral. Basically I lost everything along with my interest in maintaining the tank. I did keep the tank going with the few shrooms I had left and a few damsels, but did next to no maintainance on it.
Well I finally got the urge..with my daughters insistence, and now have the tank back up and looking good. All I have in it now is the surviving shrooms, a few damsels (1 is over 5 yrs old) and I ordered a algea crew from www.thatfishplace.com to clear up the hair algea that grew. Luckily it wasn't real bad and the snails and crabs cleaned it up in about a week.
I'm looking forward to restocking my corals and getting it to look like it did all those years ago :).

Welcome to the forum, and what a story you have! I am glad you did not abandon the hobby completely, but I can imagine how devastated you must have been.

I think you will find a lot of great info here, and you will be able to help others, as well. :D

lmkbubblfsh.gif

to AquariumAdvice.com!!!

I've been keeping a 50 gal reef tank for about 15 yrs now.

And welcome to the SW 10 & Over Club ;) hope ya don't mind...

Back
Top Bottom