I don't know what else to do:( Can you help me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarriFoster

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had my "fan tail" FatBoy for almost 2 years now. I have a 15 Gal. tank with him and 3 other small goldfish in it. He has had problems with swim bladder but now he is lying on the bottom of the tank, still very much alive but his swimming is irratic and kinda like backflips. I stopped feeding yesterday. He doesnt show any signs of typical fish diseases. He is curved like an already dead fish but keeps on trying to swim. I feel soooo bad. I have a 30gal. whisper filter system and have removed all gravel and fake plants because I couldnt control the levels of the water and was told removing that stuff would help. My levels are all reading "normal" now but he seems on deaths door. My other fish seem absolutly perfect...Oh yea when I say lying on the bottom of the tank I mean on his side..looks dead till you get close then poof he starts swimming but as I said its more like sommersalts and spiralling...Please help!!!!!

What are the actual water parameters (numbers, not 'normal')?
What is the pH?
KH?
Nitrate?
Ammonia?
Nitrite?

Four goldfish in a 15 is overstocked. Most likely water quality is an issue.

Food quality could be a huge issue too, goldfish can be extra sensitive to this. What are you feeding?

Do water changes, at least 20% daily.

NO3...0, NO2...0,GH...25,KH...40,PH...6.8, I don't have an ammonia test. They are on just Goldfish Flakes...I really don't know what Im doing. I started with a 5 gal. and have gotten up to a 15 within this last year. What size should I have and if I do a 20% change, should i condition the new water??
Do you think I can save FatBoy?

There is no way your nitrate is 0. What kit are you using. Is it test strips? If so throw them away. If it is liquid they have either expired or you aren't doing the test right. The nitrate test kit by API (the most common kit) is a little more complicated due to having to shake the reagents and test tube. Follow the directions very well.

Yes, unless you are on well water you will need to treat all new water added to the tank (water changes and top off).

Get a better food. I recommend New Life Spectrum Thera+A. If I didn't feed that to my goldfish I would feed either Hikari Lionhead or one that is online (I think it was called Pro-Gold or something). But IME NLS is by far the best.

Add some salt too, start with a tablespoon of aquarium salt.

Yes I am on well water and yes test strips it is...lol....I will head to city today see if the pet stores can help me thank you very much

Test your well water too. Mine is very hard (perfect for goldfish). If yours is not then add a little crushed coral in the filter (treat it just like carbon) to keep the KH/pH up.

Bring a sample of tank water and have the store test it. If you have any ammonia or nitrite (or the store uses strips) get the API master test kit. If both ammonia and nitrite come up at 0 then buy high range pH and nitrate test kits.

You don't have to worry about GH, and KH and pH go together (KH controls pH) so you only need one or the other and pH is easier think about.

Wooohooo!!!!

:grin: FatBoy is back upright and doing great!!! Added a little aquarium salt and stopped feeding him for the last 2 days. When is a good time to start feeding again. I never made it to the city but am heading this afternoon. If I set up another 10 gal. can i put both my Ryukins in it saftly and leave my 2 calico shabunkins in the 15 gal.? (and yes, Im bringing some water with me to be tested :) hopefully be sucessful. I love my fish and don't want to lose any of them

I am glad he is better, but this would be a good time to look into a much better food. Flakes are made of crud ingredients to start with, and then go stale within a few weeks of opening the can. Fancy goldfish have VERY sensitive digestive systems. There are very few good commercially available foods out there for fancy goldfish. Many people make their own! I feed frozen foods from SanFranciscoBay brand, but also use Hikari Lionhead formula. It is a sinking pellet food, and better for any fancy goldfish (not just lionheads) than ANY flake out there. There are some other better pelleted foods, too, but I have not tried them. Whatever you get, open it, put a small amount into a sealable jar, and put the rest in the freezer. That way, most of it stays fresh until you need more in the little container.

I'm glad fatboy is better! I was actually reading this thread with considerable anticipation and some slight anxiety! Haha

Thank you very much for the advice. I might have to buy online?? Good fish supliers around here are few and far between I have to travel at least an hour unless I can get it at wal-mart...lol but I have come to relize nothing to do with fish is good from walmart!

Hey I don't know about that. They actually have some good stuff, but only if you know what to look for and know what to watch out for.

I agree that fat-boy's symptoms are likely food related, and I am glad he is feeling better.

Flakes are definitely problematic for fancy goldfish. Sinking pellets are much better. (I use New Life Spectrum, but also used Hikari in the past.) While you are waiting for new food, you can do the following:

1. Feed the flakes only after you soak them. (Soak till water logged & the food sinks, then mush the flakes together to make your own crude sinking pellet.)
2. Supplement the flakes with "real" food:
Peas - microwave frozen peas in a bit of water for 15-20 sec (or blanch in boiling water), shell the pea kernels (squeeze the inside out), chop coarsely. <Feed at least a couple times a week.>
Zucchini & cucumbers - slice, blanch & leave in tank for 24 hrs for fish to nibble at. <Cut rounds in half so they can get at the "inside".> Fish out uneaten bits. <I NEVER have uneaten bits in my tank!>
Finely chopped pieces of soft (or blanched) fruit (apples, pears, oranges) or cooked veggies (carrots, romaine ...)
Finely chopped shrimp (cooked salad shrimp) - go easy on this one if you are not also feeding veggies ..... Goldfish should have a diet of ~70% veggies.

If you are really ambitious, you can make your own gel food. <I have recipes using chopped fish, veggies & gelatin ... make a big batch & freeze them.> Real Goldfish fanciers will not feed any prepared pellets/flakes & use only "whole" foods.

Back
Top Bottom