I have a question about adding a gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Susailee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a honey gourami and I had a blue gourami. I had to give the blue gourami away. It terrorized my gourami and other fish. Can someone give me advice about adding another gourami that is peaceful and will coexist with my honey gourami and other fish.

Thanks for help

It's a gamble really.. You never know if two males will get along until they are mature.

You can't have a opaline or a pearl with a honey. The pearl and opaline will harass the honey to death.

Reallly. I never had that problem with opaline or pearl. I kept four pearls and one opaline with two honies and never had a problem. Maybe the sex plays a part like the other post mentioned. The aggessors were my black marble angels They got to 9" and cut the tank in half.

All gourami's are capable of becoming aggressive, even the mostly docile honey's. Each has an individual personality so if you add another there is a 50/50 chance it will work. Everyone has had they own successes and failures with mixing gourami's so your going to get all kinds of answers.

Sparkling gourami's are great but they are very small and shy and need to be kept in a species tank. They are not good community fish unless you have an all nano fish community tank and even then they may or may not work.

Opaline, gold, blue,, three spotted, those are the big agressive guys
Dwarf, honey, chocolate, those are the calm guys

Opaline, gold, blue,, three spotted, those are the big agressive guys
Dwarf, honey, chocolate, those are the calm guys

Not true. Dwarf gouramis are aggressive to their own kind. Opaline and pearl never showed any aggressive behavior in my tank. Just keep in mind gourami disease can strike at any time and its fatal. I lost my kissing, albino and blue like that. Stopped buying them because of the worry. Chocolates are mellow. How big is your tank. ?

Not true. Dwarf gouramis are aggressive to their own kind. Opaline and pearl never showed any aggressive behavior in my tank. Just keep in mind gourami disease can strike at any time and its fatal. I lost my kissing, albino and blue like that. Stopped buying them because of the worry. Chocolates are mellow. How big is your tank. ?

My tank is 20 gallons

You are already grossly overstocked so don't add anything else. Angels are not suited to such a small tank. One in a 29g when young but they need a big tank. Mollies get up to 5", especially males and carry a high bio-load. Platies also carry a high bio-load. So depending on how much of what you have you either need to rehome some or get a much larger tank. They may be small now but you have not taken into consideration the adult size of these fish.

I have tetra, mollies, platys, guppies and a pair of angels along with my honey gourami they are all getting along

Do you have the exact numbers of fish? Like rivercats said, your tank is overstocked and I know its wouldn't be good to add anymore fish. If you were to rehome the angels and mollies. ( and possibly tetras and platies) then I'm sure people on here will come up with fish better suited to live in your tank :)

I have tetra, mollies, platys, guppies and a pair of angels along with my honey gourami they are all getting along

Rivercats is right. You are overstocked. Gouramis are better in groups imo and your angels need to be in a bigger tank. If they are a male female that spells disaster for your other fish if the want to spawn. arent mollies and platys livebearers ? You sound just like me when i first started. I had tetras ,mollies, platys , corycats ans gouramis. My blue gourami got huge. My Angels reached 9" and had to be moved because they cut the tank off from everone else because of that same reason Upgrade to a 40+ and then maybe. 55 long would be perfect imo.

Rivercats is right. You are overstocked. Gouramis are better in groups imo and your angels need to be in a bigger tank. If they are a male female that spells disaster for your other fish if the want to spawn. arent mollies and platys livebearers ? You sound just like me when i first started. I had tetras ,mollies, platys , corycats ans gouramis. My blue gourami got huge. My Angels reached 9" and had to be moved because they cut the tank off from everone else because of that same reason Upgrade to a 40+ and then maybe. 55 long would be perfect imo.

I've never heard of Gouramis being better in groups? in fact, I thought they did better being solitary

Back
Top Bottom