I have a question about my tropical fish tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RikaMitsukane

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have added new fish to my aquarium and one of them has infected the rest with ich. I'm in the process of treating them but I had wanted to get more fish. Would it be better to get them while I am already in the process of treating my tank or after my fish are healthy again? I'm afraid of waiting and starting this all over.

You should wait until your tank is healthy again. If possible, a quarantine tank would be the way to go. If not, try to avoid getting fish from any tank that has unhealthy fish in it.
Even if you did add fish now, you have already started the treatment, so if you put it more sick fish, you would have to treat them all for longer. It's better to wait.

Another question, I have a freshwater crab and a beta that live in the same tank. And the beta is especially a favorite of mine. Will this medicine hurt it? I know some fish handle the medicine better than others. I only started treating it about two hours ago.

RikaMitsukane said:
Another question, I have a freshwater crab and a beta that live in the same tank. And the beta is especially a favorite of mine. Will this medicine hurt it? I know some fish handle the medicine better than others. I only started treating it about two hours ago.

What are you treating it with? Salt and 86 degree temps should be all you need..

smomus said:
What are you treating it with? Salt and 86 degree temps should be all you need..

image-2983988706.jpg

It's ich treatment. My dad sent it with me when I moved my aquarium to my apartment.

absolutangel04 said:
You should wait until your tank is healthy again. If possible, a quarantine tank would be the way to go. If not, try to avoid getting fish from any tank that has unhealthy fish in it.
Even if you did add fish now, you have already started the treatment, so if you put it more sick fish, you would have to treat them all for longer. It's better to wait.

Thank you, I'll keep this in mind.

RikaMitsukane said:
It's ich treatment. My dad sent it with me when I moved my aquarium to my apartment.

Oh, and I have a 40 or 50 (can't remember) gallon tank. How much salt should I put in? And what kind of salt?

Google ich treatments to see the correct salt dosage. I don't remember it off the top of my head. You can cure ich with just heat. That way, you don't have to worry about anybody being affected by the meds.
What sort of crab do you have?

All you need to do is raise the temp.
Increase temp to 86-88F
Increase aeration
Increase frequency of gravel vacs
Leave the temp up for at least one week after last spot is seen
No meds are needed.
You can add salt to help promote the fishes slime coat. You'll want 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water. Add whole dosage to a container of tank water and dissolve. Add 1/4 of the solution every 12 hours so the fish can adjust to it. If you replace water you are removing salt. Eg: 50% water change removes half the salt so a half dose needs to be added back in with the new water.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

Mumma.of.two said:
All you need to do is raise the temp.
Increase temp to 86-88F
Increase aeration
Increase frequency of gravel vacs
Leave the temp up for at least one week after last spot is seen
No meds are needed.
You can add salt to help promote the fishes slime coat. You'll want 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water. Add whole dosage to a container of tank water and dissolve. Add 1/4 of the solution every 12 hours so the fish can adjust to it. If you replace water you are removing salt. Eg: 50% water change removes half the salt so a half dose needs to be added back in with the new water.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

Is there a certain kind of salt I should use? Should it be something I pick up at the pet store or the kind of salt that sits around my house?

Defiantly do the method Mumma.of.two is saying. I am just getting over an itch outbreak and those instructions are working GREAT! I used salt I got from the pet store so I knew it was good to go.

Back
Top Bottom