I have had a cyano problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just raked some sand found nothing checked levels and ammonia is 0 but nitrates is between 40 and 80.... I am going to change water right now but I only have about 3 gallons ready until I go to store tomorrow .... Do you think my fish will survive?

Should I let more oxygen in through protein skimmer would that help at all

Should I let more oxygen in through protein skimmer would that help at all

They will for the short term but for the longhaul No. You`ll need to get rid of your tangs or get the larger tank soon. The bioload is just too great for that tank.

Do your water swap. I wouldn't panic to much. Just breathe and relax. Do a good water change tomorrow. And let your protein skimmer do it's job. Hopefully you dont have a seaclone

Ok thank no not a seaclone but my protein skimmer is starting to get alot of brown on inside mostly the tube can't really see in it is it suggested that you ever clean the skimmer and also I have a penguin biowheel 350 hang on filter with carbon.... Should I change carbon or even take it out ?

You could change your carbon. But don't change it all. 50 percent. Maybe 65. And yeah it's a good idea to clean your skimmer about twice a year. If it's looking nasty I would put it in a bucket and run it in water and vinegar. It will clean it right out. Just make sure to run it with straight water for a bit afterward

Now the filter has 2 carbon packages one on each side if I changes one would it matter which one I change??

No it won't matter. I would swap out half of both. Or are they the pre made bags. If they are swap 1 out and in a couple of days swap the other. You don't want to get rid of all that good bacteria. Also switch to makin your own bags

If I was to start making my own bags would it be better to use carbon or some other form?

It really depends on your needs. There is many different kinds of media you can use. Keep in mind that some corals don't cope well with some media. Ei palm tree coral usually doesn't do well with phosphate removing media. I usually just use carbon. I use that example cause it happened to me. I had a phosphate spike. And there was something in the phosphate media that killed my palm tree. Can't remember what it was now happened a while ago

Wow 40 to 80ppm that's really high.. Hmm what do u mean by u only have 3 gallons ready? And ur fish will be fine.. U can also buy some filter media that absorb nitrate from ur Lfs. Even thou it's abit pricey

Back
Top Bottom