I haven't even shopped for fish and I already have questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sirwired

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I am interested in setting up an aquarium, and have been getting started doing my research.

My first attempt at research beyond web surfing was "Aquariums for Dummies". Ouch. I don't know anything about fish and I could tell it was a useless book. Back to the store that went.

I now have read "The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums" twice. It has answered a lot of my questions, but still has left me a little confused/indecisive on some things. I wanted to ask here before starting equipment and fish shopping.

! THINK I am going to go with a 29gal tank. I would like a 50 or 55, but the spot I plan on putting it is not really that close to a faucet. My brother used to keep a tank, (a 55 I think), but by the time he and his wife drained it and garaged it, it was pretty green. I have a funny feeling they didn't maintain it too well and the fish weren't living too long. I think my wife would be willing to let me keep the larger tank if I got it and the equipment from them. My question here is: how safe is it to use that old tank? If I bleach it, dechlorinate it, replace all the filter media, etc., what is the likelihood that it will be suitable for use? How will I know?

Water Changes: Okay, I have figured out that water changes are a good thing. The book I have suggested 20% a week, with 50% being even better (I don't think 50% is gonna happen, unless it truly is necessary). I'm willing to do 20% changes once a week, but that book left out some specifics. First, how do I get the temperature correct? Do I just mix in some hot tap water until the water stream feels lukewarm, and then just let the python do its thing? Do I have to get the temperature EXACTLY right?

I have Chloramine (Chlorine during March) treated water. Is it sufficient to drip the treatment into my tank before adding the water? Do I need to add extra because the Carbon filter I will probably have will suck some up? If I have to do PWC's via buckets in order to treat the water properly, a 55gal could get really old, really fast.

Some sites/books say that EVERYBODY should have a UGF, at least as a backup, others say that UGF's are prone to dangerous anerobic pockets, and beginners should just stick to power filters only. What is the "real" deal here? (I'll probably have some big questions later about power filters once I start equipment shopping.)

Everybody talks about how important it is to quarantine new fish / have a hospital tank. What on earth do you do with the quarantine / hospital tank when it isn't being used for quarantining / treating fish? Do you keep it running with a token hardy fish in it that you don't mind losing in order to keep it cycled, or what? I have a place that I could stash a 10gal if that was a usable size for a hospital tank.

Lastly, any good LFS in the Raleigh, NC area?

Thanks to all who take the time to read this fairly long post. I expect there will be more.

SirWired

No reason you can not use the large tank. A razor blade, vinegar, bleach and a little elbow grease should get it clean. You will probably want to fill it and leave it in a covered area outside or in the garage for a week or two just to be sure there are no leaks.

With a python water changes are a breeze, 50% will be just as easy as 20%. Yes you just adjust the hot and cold to get reasonably close to the temp of the tank water and add the dechlor for the entire tank amount before you refill the tank.

I would not use the UGF I think a good power filter or cannister is a better option.

For the QC a ten gallon should be fine in most cases. No reason to keep it running all the time. When you need it pull it, out fill it up, steal some media from the main tank for the filter, and you are good to go.

welcome to aa!
you should be able to revive the 55 without any problems. fill it for a couple days and make sure there are no leaks. then, after you cleaned it rinse until you're hands shrivel up like grapes, then rinse it one more time. sounds like you already know not to use detergents of any kind.
pwc's are easy, just get a python. it will only take 30-40 minutes to do a 50% pwc on the 55 without having to use any buckets. you just match the temp right off the tap, try to stay within a degree. add the water conditioner right into the tank before refilling.
skip the ugf, get a canister filter. i have the xp2 on my 55 and it is more than sufficient. carbon is an option, not a neccessity. you will be fine only using it when it is needed, like to remove meds.
for the qt tank, just keep a sponge or small hob filter running on the main tank and move it over to the qt when you need to.

good luck! :)

rich311k said:
With a python water changes are a breeze, 50% will be just as easy as 20%. Yes you just adjust the hot and cold to get reasonably close to the temp of the tank water and add the dechlor for the entire tank amount before you refill the tank.

Thanks all for the advice so far....

A question about this last paragraph... Does that mean I add enough dechlor for 55gal (if I go with the larger tank) even if I am only swapping out some fraction of the water?

SirWired

sirwired said:
rich311k said:

A question about this last paragraph... Does that mean I add enough dechlor for 55gal (if I go with the larger tank) even if I am only swapping out some fraction of the water?

SirWired

That is correct.

but prime will make this easier on the pocket book. It is super concentrated and uses much less than any other dechlor out there. It is a couple bucks more expensive (i think the difference is $1.50 here in dallas), but worth it in the long run.

I just want to add that if you use bleach or any chemical to clean the tank RINSE RINSE RINSE and then rinse five more times. You don't want any trace amounts of cleaning solution in the tank.

Basically what UGF do (I used to have them), is they suck all the fish poop under the gravel and "in" the UGF... and it just stays there. I personally think its better to just gravel vac instead of this method.

rich311k said:
sirwired said:
rich311k said:

SirWired

That is correct.

wait what? your telling him that if he does a 20 gal wc in a 55 gallon tank, he should treat the tank for 55gal worth of dechlor?

You really shouldn't do 50% water changes unless there is a problem with the water and you need to do something asap. 20% weekly is more reasonable.

You can add dechlor to just the amount of water you've added, or dose it for the 55gal.. either way its not going to harm your fish.

hc8719 said:
rich311k said:
sirwired said:
rich311k said:

SirWired

That is correct.

wait what? your telling him that if he does a 20 gal wc in a 55 gallon tank, he should treat the tank for 55gal worth of dechlor?

Yes I am. Little extra won't hurt and it is a safe way to do it.

As far as water change amounts go the more the merrier. The fish will love you for frequent large changes.

just to add my 2 cents here, i agree with rich. i can notice a definite difference in the behavior of my fish that is directly proportionate to the amount of water i change. 20% they perk up a little, but 50% they become much more active and even display better colors. not to mention it keeps your nitrates in check better. if you're going to get the python out, you may as well cut your nitrates in half instead of just a fifth. it's really only a matter of ten minutes or so.

justrelax said:
just to add my 2 cents here, i agree with rich. i can notice a definite difference in the behavior of my fish that is directly proportionate to the amount of water i change. 20% they perk up a little, but 50% they become much more active and even display better colors. not to mention it keeps your nitrates in check better. if you're going to get the python out, you may as well cut your nitrates in half instead of just a fifth. it's really only a matter of ten minutes or so.

Really?? Ive always been told that a 50% is too drastic of a change for the fish. Maybe once my new fish settle in (in a few days), Ill do a 50% water change and see how my fish respond.

I almost always do 50,often more.No problems at all.

Keep in mind that with larger changes the temp has to matched more closely so the temp won't change in the tank when its added.I take the time to get mine to the exact degree (not difficult or time consuming with a little practice).

I usually do about 40%, sometimes more like 50%. With the Python, it isn't really any more work. If you're worried about the temperature of the new water, just keep a thermometer in your tank, then pop it out and run it under the faucet to match the temp in the tank perfectly. Remember, even if you can't set your tank up close to a sink, you can always buy a 25 foot extension for your Python if it doesn't reach.

I agree, skip the UGF and go with a canister or a couple of Emperor HOBs. The canister is the way to go if you want to have the tank as close as possible to your wall (since you can put the canister under the tank inside the stand), if you want the most quiet option available, and if you don't want to have to see your filter. They can be difficult to set up initially, but after a couple of rounds of maintenance you'll think it's easy. I have a Fluval and a Rena Filstar (on different tanks of course) and I like them both. If you order your supplies online you will save a lot of money- if you need the names of sites just ask.

Good luck and have fun- the bigger the tank, the more options you have for stocking!

Welcome to AA, sirwired! :smilecolros: :smilecolros:

Firstly, I love the title of your post, "I haven't even shopped for fish and I already have questions". If only everybody did this when starting out, there would be alot more satisfied aquarists and alot fewer dead fish!

I don't have much to add to what's already been said except to sing more praise for the Python. Regardless of what size tank you get, it will make water changes less of a chore, which means you will more likely do them as frequently as you should.

I also recommend the use of a cannister filter for anything bigger than a 29 gal - the maintenance is so much easier. If you're short on funds, an appropriately sized HOB will work too. As far as backup filters, air-driven sponge filters are cheap and effective. Extra sponges can be kept in the tank, hidden behind decorations, where they will accumulate beneficial bacteria. Sponge filters work with an air pump - you can even get a battery operated air pump in case your area is prone to power outages.

Okay, I'm sold on large PWC's.

BTW, I talked to my brother, and he had a 29 gal. (He also had a larger hexagonal tank, but I'm going to stick with a rectangular for max. surface area.) I reckon I'll pick the stuff up him this weekend, and then post here with what I got so I can find out what I need.

My next questions:

Is the hot water out of my hot water heater safe? I don't THINK it is contaminated with anything, but how would I know? It is a fairly new heater in a 20 yr old house with mostly copper, but some PEX piping.

Everything I have seen says that Prime is the good and cheap way to go for Chlorine/Chloramine treatment.

However, doesn't Prime also treat ammonia?

If it does, how does that affect the cycling process? (I plan on doing a Fishless cycle with ammonia if I can find it, the rotting shrimp thing if I can't.)

Will the ammonia I am adding to the tank quickly overwhelm the Prime I add when first filling the tank prior to starting the cycle?

I will of course have to add more Prime when doing my final pre-fish PWC. Will the ammonia-treating properties of Prime starve my new biofilter, causing small die-back and an ensuing ammonia spike as soon as the fish start to, um, "produce"?

Thanks to all,
SirWired

rich311k said:
hc8719 said:
rich311k said:
sirwired said:
rich311k said:

SirWired

That is correct.

Yes I am. Little extra won't hurt and it is a safe way to do it.

As far as water change amounts go the more the merrier. The fish will love you for frequent large changes.

that just doesnt make sense, its kinda like overkill, and a waste

i know once my mom thought she'd do a feederfish rescuse, and put like a dozen drops into a gallon container, and they all died

that just doesnt make sense, its kinda like overkill, and a waste
When you use prime...you are talking about maybe a teaspoon more to treat 55g instead of 25g...its not that much waste. And it won't hurt the fish.

Its alot safer to dechlor too much, then not to dechlor enough and have some chlorine left in the tank. Or atleast thats my philosophy.

And 50% water changes are good. I usually do atleast 50%...sometimes more. On my 10g, I do more like 60-70%. Keep my fish happy and clean!

Welcome to AA sirwired! Its great to see people like you on here that research before they buy. Kudos to you! :D

I use a different method for water changes. The longer time between changes means I do more of a change. In other words, if I am up to speed on my weekly changes, I keep them around 10-20 percent. If I have been busy and it has been three weeks, I do much more. I agree with what others have stated, fish love water changes, you will really notice a change in a behavior and appearance.

Is this a great website or what?!

Back
Top Bottom