I think I did something really dumb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanW0007

Aquarium Advice Regular
In my planted tank I saw something moving along the sand out of the corner of my eye. Once I looked close I realized it was a tiny little snail, must of hitchhiked with the sword I bought.

So I'm about to get him out of there asap, but then I feel bad for the little guy. I didn't want to kill him and didn't really have anywhere else to put him. So I let him be. Now god knows where he is or what he's doing. He looked like a baby mystery snail maybe. If he starts reproducing (I do believe they are able to do that by themselves) then are my plants doomed?

I really like snails, so I don't mind them, but I don't want them eating everything I have in there.

I thought that mystery snails couldn't reproduce asexually & that was the benefit of having them instead of the exploding pond snails. . . My golden mystery never had babies so you may be fine. Some fish will goble them down too. I have seen my tiger barbs which aren't really known for their snail eating as far as I know eat baby snails & eggs. They also pick on adults.

DanW0007 said:
Thanks for the response. If it doesn't reproduce, is it going to still eat my plants?

Depends on what species he is...there are a few that look pretty similar.....Pomacea bridgesii won't, but some other Pomacea species will.

Most snails do especially the ones that appear in my tanks 8O

Snail ID can be hard, thus assume that any snail is gonna eat plants.
I don't know much about snail reproduction, but I do know that if you got a live one on some plants, then you likely have a few globs of snail eggs on the plants too.

Back
Top Bottom