I think my betta has dropsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is kinda off topic but if I were to wash a pitcher with fish washing soap and then thoroughly rinse and dry it would it kill my future shrimp? It would be used for water changes.

NatureFish
????

Buy a new one and rinse with the hottest water from your tap.

We have two 1g pitchers we use for water changes that we bought just for that purpose.

I don't think that's a thing
Me either.

In case you didn't see, she's in tank w them now. Pretty much minding her business. Im not going to move her anymore today. She's had a lot going on today.

With a bit of luck, catfish will be in 10g tomorrow and she in the 5g for at least a week, mostly to not overload the bio filer :)

Even of they were rinsed and dried?! It's too late I already used it. Did I ruin my whole tank?

NatureFish
????

I'm not sure I just know no soap. I used a glass 1cup Pyrex measuring cup to change Bubbles water when he was new that had been washed w soap. I had rinsed really well. I never did that again but. I wonder if I hurt him.

I'd still get new pitchers!

My parents think soap is ok as long as its rinsed throughly but I know its not. Can you tell them that?! They don't believe me.

NatureFish
????

I'll try to find a good article online you can show them.

Can you get to a store to buy new pitchers? We got them at Walmart. Not too much money. $3-5 each.

I can't find anything with specific reasons to not use soap, but I know it's bad and can kill them. Just the residue from soap is bad!

My parents think soap is ok as long as its rinsed throughly but I know its not. Can you tell them that?! They don't believe me.

NatureFish
????

Soap contains highly toxic chemicals that destroys their livers and gills. I could even throw in a chemical equation if you'd like.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Soap contains highly toxic chemicals that destroys their livers and gills. I could even throw in a chemical equation if you'd like.

Thank you for the clarification!

I hope I didn't hurt my Bubbles by using that pyrex cup that has been washed with soap :( I had nothing for water changes at the time. Ugh.

Thank you for the clarification!

I hope I didn't hurt my Bubbles by using that pyrex cup that has been washed with soap :( I had nothing for water changes at the time. Ugh.

Over time soap residue is too busy reacting with the minerals in your water to be detrimental. But it isn't ideal.

Over time soap residue is too busy reacting with the minerals in your water to be detrimental. But it isn't ideal.

Phew. Only did it once or twice. And a few times with measuring spoons :( I bought some metal ones just for fish stuff though now and they have never had soap.

Phew. Only did it once or twice. And a few times with measuring spoons :( I bought some metal ones just for fish stuff though now and they have never had soap.

Good thing I'm learning all about soap in Chemistry class :D

Back
Top Bottom