I used Cupramine...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rthoman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I used Cupramine in one of my tanks about a month ago. I want to combined all my tanks into a larger tank. Now my question is are the rocks and sand from the tank I used the Cupramine in contanminated? I want to use them in a tank that will be a reef. I put a snail in the tank that had the Cupramine in it and he didn't do so well. How long does the Cupramine stay active?

rthoman said:
How long does the Cupramine stay active?
It will remain a problem until it is removed. Either through water changes, carbon or better a polyfilter by BioMarine.

Cupramine is a chelated form of copper and can be removed from a system but that is not a guarantee. Best suggestion is take steps to reduce/remove the copper and then keep testing the copper levels over the next few months. If you get no readings you could be safe but understand it will still be a risk even if low.

Cheers
Steve

says it does not use chelates on the description...

Cupramine 100mL (Seachem)
Superior copper sulfate that is non-acidic, remains in solution, does not contaminate the filter bed and is fully ionic "without chelates". Treats up to 500 gallons of fresh or saltwater
from thatpetplace

This buffered active copper is safer than copper sulfate or chelates for eradicating ectoparasites with a 4x concentration gap between the minimal therapeutic dose and the toxic dose. Fully ionic and effective at low concentrations. Safe for filter bed and can easily be removed with chemical filtration. 100 ml treats over 500 gallons of marine or freshwater.
from Dr. Fosters Smith

"can easily be removed with chemical filtration"???? That just means remove what has not been absorbed by LR?

rthoman said:
can easily be removed with chemical filtration"???? That just means remove what has not been absorbed by LR?
Chemical filtration means it can be removed by absorbent media such as carbon. That is why I typically recommend polyfilters. It will absorb all forms of copper including chelates where carbon cannot. The problem with chelates is it is not easily absorbed by chemical media/resins which also means (thankfully) it is not readily absorbed by CaCO3 based animals, sand or rock. This still does not mean it's safe or should be used in a display tank.

<<Cupramine>> is actually one of the better products available on the market today and gives you the benefit of both worlds. Fully ionic so it treats the parasitic problem and formulated like a chelate so it is not absorbed into the system. It is also one of the least stressful on fish in terms of toxicity.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom