I want some babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RogerMcAllen

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have always wanted some fish of mine to lay eggs or have fry, so what would be the easiest thing to breed in a pond with what conditions?

just let them do the "work"
i'm all most sure that they are working on it right now
:)
so..
at the bigining the fry are brown color and after a whill they are getting there goldy color

first message here :D
-Krib

I'm assuming you are going to keep goldfish? Make sure you have some underwater plants like hornwort, anacharis, or basically anything else, bushy type plants are best. Some piles of rocks, or sunken driftwood helps too. These are important for the goldfish to lay eggs on and for the babies to hide in, cuz the parents and other adult fish will eat the babies. Nature will make sure your fish breed, at least mine always do, and I do nothing special. When you see lots of fish chasing each other around, and sometimes splashing, they are in spawning mode.

I've done this for 7 years now, babies every single year! some years more survive than other years, but some always make it, as long as they have places to hide.

Ok, thanks. I will try adding some more structure underwater like you suggested. I'll tell you how it turns out. So just to see if I understand, all I have to do is buy some goldfish, I plan on about a dozen, let them go in a well vegitated area with some structure, and they should breed?

Basically, yes, it's that simple! Spend what you like on fish, but I don't rally reccomend feeder goldfish, the offspring i got from them were really dull and uuuuugly.

Rmac, How big is your pond again?

I am doing some big renovations, so I am not sure how it is going to end up. The pond I was going to try in was my current one. It has a max depth of 28" with a plant shelf 12" all the way around. It is 8'x4' roughly kidney bean shaped. The addition will include a small river, and a deeper 3+' pond to the side section.

And you say no feeders, but I don't care if they are ugly babies as long as they are babies. Why type of goldfish would you suggest I buy instead?

Feeders are comets, but if your lfs has nicer comets, get some of them. I also have fantails, and shubunkins. Aviod really fancy varieties, they dont do well in ponds.

Sarassa Comets and Calico Shibunkin are both hardy fish that will usually readily reproduce in a pond. The Sarassa Comets have more of a red and white vs. the orange that you see in most Pond Comets. Feed them plenty of food high in protein prior to spawning time so the females will be plump and conditioned for breeding. Also make sure the fish you are trying to breed are old enough to breed.
Definately avoid the fancy imported goldfish such as Oranda's and Ryukins as far as a suitable pond fish that will reproduce. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom