i want to build a sump/fuge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian Vartanian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
right now my filtration is 2 HOB filters, one whisper bio bag, the other is an aquaclear. i want some better filtration so i wanted to make a wet dry filter, with a fuge in it. just a small one, i have a spare ten gal tank and my main tank is 55gal. how should i go about doing this? i have looked at dozens of DIY filter diagrams but i dont quite understand how they work with water flow. my main problem is how to get the water into the sump, idk if i should make an over flow or not. does anyone have pics/articles/ or ideas how i can make one?

A sump is usually not a wet/dry but a wet/dry is often converted to sump use.

You are going to need an overflow to get water to the sump. There are plenty of diagrams for these around too. If you haven't already been there check out Melev's Reef - Sumps & Fuge's for diagrams and instructions.

if i do something like his, that doesnt act as a protien skimmer does it? or does it becuase of the microbubbles? also if i use my 10gal would that be good for my 55gal tank, i do still plan to keep my aqua clear filter on also.

a sump is not a skimmer, too different things. a 10 gal may be small for a sump on a 55, you need enough room in the sump for drain back from the tank when power goes out. If the sump is too small it will over flow when the power goes out. you may want to look at a 20 gal or larger tank.. JMO..

I agree with seaham, I would aim for a 20G sump on a 55. Sumps are usually ran about half full to accomodate water in the plumbing and backsiphon volume in the event of power failure. (backsiphon volume is the amount of water your plumbing will draw from the main tank into the sump via siphon until the water level reaches a predetermined siphon-break)

Back
Top Bottom