Ian086's 29g Planted Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've kept them In the past, I really think they are best in a nano tank, they are small tiny fish and seemed stressed in competing with my larger fish for food.

I've kept them In the past, I really think they are best in a nano tank, they are small tiny fish and seemed stressed in competing with my larger fish for food.
Ok. Pity, they are stunning fish. How about keeping them with guppies and similar fish. I plan on overhauling my 15g soon, whenever I get this 29g going...lol. Any other fish suggestions. Old Scales suggested Pencil Fish but I can't get them....
And what do you think, German Blue Rams or Apistogramma cacatuoides??

They are shy little fish. Fun to watch as they have a lot more character than my boring neons. I haven't noticed any ill effects in their 80 degree home as of yet. Goin to be tough to keep at room temperature here in the humid south. I'll see how they cope.

They are shy little fish. Fun to watch as they have a lot more character than my boring neons. I haven't noticed any ill effects in their 80 degree home as of yet. Goin to be tough to keep at room temperature here in the humid south. I'll see how they cope.
Hey NanoJack. They look like beautiful little fish, I would love to have them in my set-up but obviously I don't want to keep them in my 29g if they are constantly stressed by my other stock. What other fish do you keep them with??

6 CPDs, 4 neons, 1 Otto, and 6 RCS all in 4.6 gallons. Neons typically congregate in one corner and they do eat all food before the CPDs have a chance. I never see the shrimp during the lights. I never see the Otto eat. She's very skittish. The CPDs swim all over the bottom floor taking cover under any leaf. They seem to scavenge the bottoms looking for eggs they lay, i assume. They like to chase and court all day. Very peculiar to see their eye balls looking down on the floor...cartoonish. Overall, my favorite fish in the hobby! neons got to go but my wife likes them. suppose they all commit suicide one night. Hmmmm.....

6 CPDs, 4 neons, 1 Otto, and 6 RCS all in 4.6 gallons. Neons typically congregate in one corner and they do eat all food before the CPDs have a chance. I never see the shrimp during the lights. I never see the Otto eat. She's very skittish. The CPDs swim all over the bottom floor taking cover under any leaf. They seem to scavenge the bottoms looking for eggs they lay, i assume. They like to chase and court all day. Very peculiar to see their eye balls looking down on the floor...cartoonish. Overall, my favorite fish in the hobby! neons got to go but my wife likes them. suppose they all commit suicide one night. Hmmmm.....
I think i'll have to take them off the list for the 29g so. Pity, maybe for the 15g. My Neons seem to commit suicide regularly, I always find dried up Neons under my cabinet. It is an open top but I didn't realise they were 'jumpers'. Open top tank. One actually jumped yesterday while I was doing my WC. Luckily I was in the room at the time so he lived to see another day!!!

Ian, I think you should get 20-25 for your 15! That would be so cool!! I want to plant the heck out if my 5.5 and throw 1 scarlet badis, 12 cpd's in there with some RCS!!

Guppys are little pigs.. As long as you got the cpd's food.. I don't see why it wouldn't work, guppys can do 76* no problem..

Ian if you have the XB series I would run it 6 hours only until you start seeing some good growth and then may up to by 30 minutes for a couple weeks and if no algae then up it another 30 minutes. The lower % you run it on the longer you can usually run it. The higher % up to 100 usually 6 hours is the max.

Since your doing 50% now after you get through the diatom phase I would slowly raise the amount of light by about 10% every couple weeks. You will really have to watch as you raise your light that you don't get algae problems since your only using liquid carbon. It may take time but you will find a balance.

Five nerites should be fine for the tank.

Ian if you have the XB series I would run it 6 hours only until you start seeing some good growth and then may up to by 30 minutes for a couple weeks and if no algae then up it another 30 minutes. The lower % you run it on the longer you can usually run it. The higher % up to 100 usually 6 hours is the max.

Since your doing 50% now after you get through the diatom phase I would slowly raise the amount of light by about 10% every couple weeks. You will really have to watch as you raise your light that you don't get algae problems since your only using liquid carbon. It may take time but you will find a balance.

Five nerites should be fine for the tank.
Thanks River. I am seeing some growth(small) on all the plants, so I will leave it be for now and when I get through the diatoms stage, follow your instructions.....

I think they'll be too small given the stock you already have, Ian. They're a timid fish in general and I think they will be outcompeted for food.

I think they'll be too small given the stock you already have, Ian. They're a timid fish in general and I think they will be outcompeted for food.
Pity. They are such cool looking fish. I didn't/don't know anything about them. Just literally came across them, looking for other fish. They would add a nice splash of colour....

We'll see how my celestial does. He's in a group of about 10 danios and definitely the runt of the group. My water is generally 78-80. Doesn't seem phased. Schooling with the rest of em. Not aggressive for food like the rest, but he's new and super small right now compared to the rest. Hope he survives! Definitely the best looking of the danios that I've seen. I've got a pearl, several longfin leopard, a panther, and a glowlight. They all school together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Right, so it's been two weeks and I followed the advice from Rivercats and split my light time into two parts, 3hrs on, two hour siesta and then another 3hrs on. NO ferts were dosed during this two week period, only Glut was added. 1ml per gallon, I use a 50/50 mix. On Sunday(my WC day) I trimmed off most of the Diatom damaged leaves from my plants. I say plants, actually the Staurpgyne was the only plant effected by the Diatoms. I DO NOT have any Diatoms, anywhere else in the tank. I also added my 4 Nerite snails from my 15g. They have been busy, working away and I have no other issues with Algae in the tank. I noticed one of my Nerites hasn't moved in a few days, so I think it's dead. I have these guys nearly two years, so I think that's about right for their life span??. I'm running the BML at 50%, I'm afraid to increase it too much more, just yet. I want the plants to settle in first and start really growing and then i'll increase it very slowly over time.
The Downai is growing nicely and is a beautiful shade of green, not always obvious in my novice pictures. The Ludwigia Super Red is not so red but is a nice mix of Red(ish), green, brown and purple/pink(ish) leaves. One my favourite plants so far, in my short plant career!!. It has tiny buds all over the stems. This is going to need pretty regular trimming....haha.
Still no sign of more plants from the big LFS in town. They were supposed to have an order on Thurs but their plant guy is on holidays, so maybe next week. My regular LFS is 'inbetween' fish suppliers at the moment. They have a new owner and there was money owed to the supplier from the last owner which is being disputed by the new owner, so they have not received ANY fish in 4wks. She even rang me and asked for my guppy fry/juvenile's and platy juvenile's...haha. They do have the fish I need in the 'other' store in town, which I don't like. It's our equivalent of petsmart/petco with the same poor quality fish stock. I have NEVER got a sick fish from my reg LFS but I have NEVER got a healthy fish from the 'other' store.
I still have a lot of particiles floating in the tank, dispite running a C4 and an Aquaclear 50, both with filter floss. I am hunting for some fine filter pads recommended by Paul1754. I think this maybe because I did not rinse the Eco before I added it. They recommend not to rinse it, so I didn't.
So enough talking, here's some pictures.....

Attachments

• DSCF0562.jpg
    DSCF0562.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCF0564.jpg
    DSCF0564.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF0566.jpg
    DSCF0566.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF0568.jpg
    DSCF0568.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 87
Looks great!!!! I got a nerite about 10 days ago and it zipped around for a day and literally hasn't moved since. It's trapdoor is shut and it doesn't smell?? I think once they have a good feed they can go into sleep mode for up to 2 weeks..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom