ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes. Plecs dont like salt either. But it could also be carrying the paracite. Meds kill ich, full stop.

Or as americans say period:D

Well, try the heat/natural method and the fall back onto meds if it doesnt work.

Last edited:
No don't move him. Treat everything in the tank like its infected. Disinfect all aquarium equipment (nets, buckets, syphons) before use in other tanks. If he is acting fine with the salt level as it is then leave it, don't risk increasing it any higher. Many members here on AA have experienced more deaths while using a medication to treat ich than the salt and heat treatment. Leave all the fish in the tank and increase the temp.

Never had a single fish die with meds.

If your fish are healthy they will be fine!! Follow manufactures guidelines and youll be ok, thats what theyre there for. Used a number of treatments myself. Treating Internal paracites, flukes and Ich.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for all of this wonderful advice :)
I'm going to try the heat and salt treatment for a week and if it doesn't clear her up, or if she develops more spots, I'll try the meds. I'll also go get another heater so I can get my tank to 86.
Thomas is still acting normal sucking on his driftwood and swimming around all quickly so I don't think he is minding the salt much.

Also, just had a thought, will the salt and heat treatment help make the platy stop flashing? Only one of them does it and it just was and I thought to ask. It has no visible ich.

By flashing you mean rubbing itself up against things in the tank? This is one of the symptoms of ich also, thrashing and rubbing is a gill fluke indication to but under the circumstances imo its ich.

Yes, it rubs on a piece of driftwood I have and bounces back off usually with it's belly but sometimes with it's side fins. I can't see any spots though.

Almost as soon as the ich attaches too the fish it causes irritation and my take days or may not even show as a white spot.

@Molliwop. My threadfin rainbows and dwarf neon rainbows have ICH. There are Corys and bristlenose Pleco in the tank. I cannot use salt, what medications have you used ??

+1 with mumma I, ve just dealt with ich a few weeks ago and just used heat i have cories and plecs they managed heat of 88+ i had no issues and no loses, i wouldn't use salt because of the fish stated.

I used protozin by waterlife, doesnt effect your biological filtration.
I think i need to make sure that i was talkung about Panda corys, not peppered.

I have pandas, peppered, skunk, black and red Venezuela , stripped, orange laser, (I love them)

I may be getting excited early but I purchased a better heater and turned it up to 86 and my angelfish actually looks like most of her white spots are either shrinking or have disappeared all together. I vacuumed out the gravel and 30% of the water as well.
The fish seem to like the hotter water and are much more active, is it safe to leave the heater on say, 82F regularly for them or is the extra activity just stress? It is usually at 78F. I don't want to accidentally cook my fish you know ha ha

Heat speeds up metabolism so they may move around faster but will shorten their life.

Ich will drop off and almost disappear from the fish quite quickly. Nows the time to vac the substrate.

Oh, then I will put it back on 78 after the treatment is finished with.

Dont worry if in the next afew days afew ich spots appear on your fish. Keep treating for a week after the last spot appears.

Thank you to all who have commented on here. My angelfish sadly developed columnaris (i think that was what they called it at the store) and died last night after 2 days of anti-fungal treatment we added to our tank :-( all of our other fish are spotless and remain healthy but we are going to keep the temp up and finish the course of treatment so there is nothing bad left in our tank. We have been doing about 40% water changes daily with our gravel vacuuming.

Sorry to hear. I have three tanks and I just noticed today that my Black Phantom Tetras are all showing signs of Ich. Thanks for all of the great info in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom