Icky Pickle... (Ich)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a problem. I ordered ich attack which is plant an invert friendly, but in the mean time have been sowing melafix because some guy said it was good at my LFS. Temp is 85 and I've been vacuuming regularly but conditions have worsened. Several cardinals have large white spots covering their whole side of their body and their fins and tails look shredded. They're also swimming around with their mouths half open and don't close them

Corbo said:
I have a problem. I ordered ich attack which is plant an invert friendly, but in the mean time have been sowing melafix because some guy said it was good at my LFS. Temp is 85 and I've been vacuuming regularly but conditions have worsened. Several cardinals have large white spots covering their whole side of their body and their fins and tails look shredded. They're also swimming around with their mouths half open and don't close them

Oh crap! :( that sounds terrible!!

Any ideas on what it could be?... I'm totally stumped? Is this an ich finrot double whammy? Or did I diagnose ich wrong. I need a picture but I'm not home to take one.

Would it be possible for you to get a pic of some of the affected fish? What you are describing does not sound like ich to me.

FWIW- I've treated cories, loaches, plecos, tetras, and other "salt intolerant" fish many times using salt and heat (not my fish, back when I worked at a friend's shop). The recommended dosage on the packaging is not necessary, if you use half it won't nuke your plants and should still work. The trick is to dissolve the salt in water, then add it slowly until the desired amount is reached. Still, this doesn't sound like ich to me.

I will get a picture when I get home. It's really confusing me. Started off as little white spots on fins but didn't spread to body as little salt particles. Now fins are deteriorating and the fish hold their mouths open.. Some have large white spots. I am stumped. They look pretty bad.. But pretty much all fish other than tetras look fine! Is it Neon tetra disease?...

Corbo said:
I will get a picture when I get home. It's really confusing me. Started off as little white spots on fins but didn't spread to body as little salt particles. Now fins are deteriorating and the fish hold their mouths open.. Some have large white spots. I am stumped. They look pretty bad.. But pretty much all fish other than tetras look fine! Is it Neon tetra disease?...

Are the spots kinda cottony looking, or "furry" looking?

Yeah. They're white-ish. And the fish seem to be losing some color. It covers almost their entire side. Is it fungus?!

Corbo said:
Yeah. They're white-ish. And the fish seem to be losing some color. It covers almost their entire side. Is it fungus?!

It sounds like fungus to me...google the two conditions I could come up with, and see if it looks familiar

This guy seems almost paralyzed. He is a cardinal tetra. It resembles fungus. Major loss of color. He twitches periodically. I dont want to give up on him though. Now some of my rummynose are showing small white spots on their fins.

Attachments

• image-4162923354.jpg
    image-4162923354.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 43
  • image-1655209787.jpg
    image-1655209787.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 51
  • image-809256699.jpg
    image-809256699.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 53
  • image-1112656064.jpg
    image-1112656064.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 49
Sorry for bad quality. It's on my phone. Please help me!!!

Attachments

• image-3572351116.jpg
    image-3572351116.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 57
  • image-3794306326.jpg
    image-3794306326.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 57
  • image-541337083.jpg
    image-541337083.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 54
  • image-1297259172.jpg
    image-1297259172.jpg