Icky Pickle... (Ich)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It could be ntd...symptoms : loss of color and white areas under the skin

I heard that cardinals were resistant to ntd. :/ wow. This could be bad news. If all fish have ntd its pretty much terminal?...

Yes. Cardinals started with small white spots. This SUCKS. Isn't ntd rare?! I just read symptoms saying the affected tissue begins to turn white and it can look like cysts form on the outside of the body too. That's almost an exact description.

However to contradict that I just read this-

"Interestingly enough, Cardinal tetras are resistant to the ravages of Neon Tetra disease"

It's so hard to diagnose but the ntd would make sense because none of my catfish (pleco and Otos) seem affected at all or my SAE either. All fine. Oddly enough the 2 neons I got by accident from liveaquaria with my cardinals seem ok-ish as well

Hm this is weird. I have good parameters and a fully cycled tank that I change AT least once a week. It had to have been from an outside source. I'm just stumped. I guess all I can do is treat and hope they're ok. I don't think it's ich, because no fish other than my tetras show any signs, but the white grains sure look like it.

What I read, it sounds like all cardinals are wild caught...I guess that would make it hard to tell if any are affected!

The muscle degeneration seems plausible. The little guy couldn't move and had trouble swimming. :(

I think you diagnosed it joyler, whether the cardinals are resistant to it or not. I think I can expect genocide. I'm so upset right now. This sucks. I feel so terrible.

I'm helpless.

I feel terrible too :( it's not your fault though!! They must have gotten it in the wild, or from an unhealthy fish in the store! Don't beat yourself up...

I'm going to move them to another tank. Ntd doesn't effect my other fish, but just to be safe, I'll set up my hospital that I just bought. I'm so sad.

It's hard to tell from the pics, but I'm not seeing anything that resembles ich.

Do you think this could be the same issue that killed a couple of your neons shortly after they were delivered?

What I read, it sounds like all cardinals are wild caught...I guess that would make it hard to tell if any are affected!

Tank raised cardinals are commonly available in the hobby. They tend to be more hardy than their wild caught counterparts.

Oops...I may have read wrong! I'm just worried cuz it's attacking all his tetras :(

Back
Top Bottom