ID? Looks like a purple branch thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sadial

Aquarium Advice Activist
This began growing on a piece of LR shortly after I set up my tank in October. It was very tiny to start. It is growing rapidly now. New branches and network type things are developing weekly. Is it coral or a worm or something else? It doesn't move or retract. It is the purple stick thing in the center of the circle.

I've tried to ID it but I'm not having any luck. I can try for a better picture if that would help...

Thanks.
img_1182007_0_56e218ebab2fbecde2e526191e820ba8.jpg

Wow, I think you might be right. I did a search on macroalgae and found something that resembles it - Hypnea Pannosa. Not positive it is the same thing but I think you are right on with macroalgae.

Looks a lot like a maroon colored algae I have in my tank. (But not Hypnea Pannosa.) If it's the same, it's a slow grower, is easy to pull out and prune, but can get pretty invasive if left alone. As you can see, it grows really tight to the rock so it's nearly impossible to remove it all. And I haven't found any snails that eat it yet. But like I said, it *is* easy to grab and yank out without spreading it all around the tank.

Mine is growing really tight to the rock, like yours. So you think removal would be the best thing?

Mine is growing really tight to the rock, like yours. So you think removal would be the best thing?

If you can, I would. My personal opinion is that if you let *any* type of algae get a foothold on your rockwork, you'll be kicking yourself forever.

Mr. X - I think you nailed it - hypnea musciformis.

Kurt - I'll try to remove it tomorrow. You're right about that algae foothold and kicking yourself. Somehow, I've got grape caulerpa going viral in my display tank. By the time I ID'd it, it was too late. I almost wish that I could start over again... and I'm just beginning my reef tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom