ID this fish please - should be easy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TekMuzik

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. I was at my LFS yesterday and talking to an employee about a good fish to add to my tank, since I'm pretty new at the hobby and open to advice.
So he recommended this one they just got in, and I had him bag it up and took it home. Realized after I got home, I never caught the name of it. If you can't ID it I'll have to go back and see if he remembers what he sold me, but it should be pretty easy since it's nothing fancy. Thank you.

PS. Sorry about the poor quality. It's a shot off a webcam.

fish.png

Thanks Bribo12. Looking at clearer pictures online it is definitely a striped blenny! Which is awesome cause I've been saying for a while I want a venomous fish, and now I picked one up without even realizing it!

Meiacanthus species belong to group of blennies known as the sabre-tooth blennies (tribe Nemophini). They are named for the large, curved canine teeth in the rear part of their lower jaw, which they use in defence and intraspecific fighting. All of them can deliver nasty bites (I've been bitten a few times when handling Petroscirtes species - deep cuts that bled for quite a while.) Uniquely among sabre-tooths, the canines are grooved and associated with venom glands in species of Meiacanthus. Predatory fish learn to avoid Meiacanthus, and certain other species have evolved to take advantage of this by adopting similar coloration to the Meiacanthus species. Among the mimics are other blennies (including other sabre-tooths), cardinalfishes and monocle breams. Meiacanthus grammistes is mimicked by another sabre-tooth, Petroscirtes breviceps.

Back
Top Bottom