ID this plant please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattcham

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is this dwarf baby tears?
Why is it so long?

Attachments

• 1407542339930.jpg
    1407542339930.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 88
Looks like hemianthus glomeratus, aka "regular" baby tears or pearl weed. Also goes by hemianthus micranthemoides (I think incorrectly).

Do these grow flat on the substrate like a vine or are they vertical growing like stem plants?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They grow vertically, although you can prob train them to stay low. If you want vine-like growth on the substrate the plant you want is hemianthus sp. monte carlo. Super awesome plant and not very demanding with ferts, med light, and co2.

HM, as azmodan mentioned, grows vertically for the most part. But under high light / high tech conditions, it can crawl along the substrate like a carpeting plant (like it's cousin, HC - dwarf baby tears).

Thanks all, I'll look into H Monte Carlo!

What is the downside to hemianthus sp. monte carlo? Why is it less popular than the more difficult to grow dwarf baby tears? Does hemianthus sp. monte carlo grow tall and require more trimming?

Not even a single seller on eBay, aquabid, or amazon.

I think because it's very new and isn't widely distributed. If you go to TPTs classified section you can find it there pretty cheap (partly because it grows very quickly once established, especially emersed). I bought 2 big portions there a few months ago for $3 each plus shipping. It terms of its growth it requires more maintenance because it grows much faster but I imagine it's far less frustrating than HC (although never tried HC myself). Its growth is quite low. It's also far less demanding too in terms of substrate, co2, light, etc.

Thanks I'll check it out at TPT classifieds.

Back
Top Bottom