ideas for a theme tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hisc1ay

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I have this 20 gallon just sitting empty in my living room. I was going to make it a reef, but I can't afford that right now. Instead of leaving it empty, I've been trying to think of ideas for a fun tank. I just recently got the idea to make it a theme tank. The theme can be anything, I just don't have any ideas. I started out thinking of focusing on a specific area of the world, like South America or Africa or something. But I don't think I want to limit it to that.

So, put on your creative thinking caps and help me come up with a sweet idea for a great lookin tank! I do plan on making it a planted tank as well, so keep that in mind.

Fire away!

-j

Well, with a theme tank, you might want to look at the LFS at the backdrops they have, most of them will be just a picture of plants, but some might have egyptian temples or fossils. The you could go with a driftwood, darker plant sceme. I had an idea for a tank, I dont care for it (it was my idea, just one of the ones your brain kicks out) is an American them. Take a bag of red gravel and mix it with some blue gravel. Get a blue background. White cichlids or whatever other white fish. But with this design you would be limited to a red/white plant setup. I think it would be more economical with a betta tank or something small like that. If someone does this I would love to see it. Maybe tank some black rock and lay it in the bottom on top of the other colors, spelling USA. Just some thoughts.

I always wanted to do a South American tank. Heavily planted with a swarm of small bright tetras and rasboras...all small fish. I think it would be really neat...sort of like an Amano tank.
Logan J

How about a GUPPY TANK. Load the bottom with multicolored gravel, funky multicolor decorations (cheap kind from walmart), funky colored plants (plastic) and a mess of brightly colored male guppies. I believe it would look cool.

at an lfs around here they have a cool tank that is planted. the water is colored brown on purpose and they have big pieces of driftwood and such. then they have like a ton of angels and things. it is a very cool freshwater tank. they told me it was supposed to be a specifc type of tank but i can't remember what region they said. very cool

What about those themed backdrops that you apply as an inside background and they extend out (sort of 3D) , with rocks and artificial plants etc ?

Someone on here posted a link to a site which stocked these, but as yet, I can't find this link. Looked really good though.

the water is colored brown on purpose and they have big pieces of driftwood and such.

Thats kinda like our planted tank the water has a brown tint from the Mopani bogwood we buy at the lfs its a really nice looking I think.
I attached a pic of ours.
We also Now have it in our Cichlid tank I love the brown tint it gives off
Chris.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I was thinking about doing a cichlid tank, even as far as to use a specific environment that various cichlid types are found. I did a little research last night, but not much. I'll be sure to post pics when it's done, whatever it may be. (y)

-j

The planted tank is 33 gall and the Mbuna tank is 72 gallons, we just added the Mopani to the 72 we got three large pieces and they were about 12 Dollars Canadian each, but well worth it in my opinion. Other than the Cichlids not use to it as they are rock dwelling fish lol.
I put a couple of their rocks back in as they were swimming around like they were lost.
Chris

Hmm...I just had another idea that I don't know the merits of.

What about a tank in which the contents looked nice, but were connected in a way that only an aquarist would understand, kind of like an inside joke...

Since I'm still brainstorming, I'm entertaining this idea for a few minutes. :)

-j

I have seen people use beer bottles and junk that was safe to put down in water to make it look like polluted waters, however everything was healthy, which totally contridicted the scenery.

Not really,
when you drain water in the bucket you actually see how much it tints,
when you buy Mopani you have to soak it for two days before putting it in your tank, but I just soak it for in hour or so before putting it in.
I love the stuff I keep buying more.
Chris.

I use peat moss as planting material and sometimes for filtration to help keep the pH down. It also tints the water a tea-color. I think it looks nicer and more natural that way.

As for a theme tank, I think you should go with something creatively bizarre. Do you have any hobbies or favorite characters? Something like that? My friend is a Garfield Junky and has black & orange striped gravel with a huge glass garfield piggy bank inside, that serves as a see-through fishy cave. There's also a bunch of Garfield ceramic figurines. She keeps a few stripry fish like tiger barbs, and it is very interesting & creative when done with a little style so it doesn't look TOO juvenile, but its sure an interesting tank.

I rekon you should go heaps basic. Use a sand substrate, a few large rocks, some plants (not too intricate looking, ie hairgrass) and have in it gold fish! I have like a thing for goldfish, i have no idea why! Oh well, just a suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom