if you were me (stocking question)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

manda

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
what would you do with a filtered, heated 5.5 with a betta and snail? i want to add more fish later on. i am thinking of dividing it and adding another betta and snail to the other side. or adding possibly some white clouds, or even killifish. or some rasboras (sp)
what do you guys think?
i would feel bad about dividing my 5.5 for another betta because i would feel like they would be too crowded, but if i add more fish wouldnt the betta be equally as crowded as he would be if i had him divided?

I wouldn't add any of the other fish. The tank is too small. Maybe a few more snails and some shrimp?

yeah, i know there isnt much to do with a 5.5
i love snails, to be honest thats the main reason i wanted a tank again. how many more snails do you think?
the only shrimp for tanks i ever seen are clear, and i didnt think they were too cool.

id say 2-3 cories could fit, considering your tank's been set up for long enough, and the filter's strong enough

today my cycle was complete.
i assume cories will be fine in that, but since i cycled with fish i could only add one cory at a time... correct?

If it were me, I'd add some live plants, like maybe java moss on a small piece of driftwood. Tie it on the driftwood thinly, then just let it grow out and get bushy. The beta will probably love it. And you regular lighting will be just fine, and no need for adding any ferts either. The fish will take care of that for you. :)

plants would probably be a good idea too, but im guessing since its a 5.5 you have an incandescent light in it?

you could probably add all 3 at the same time, if its newly setup, then you'll need to wait a little bit for the bacteria to get use to its current load

thanks for the help. yes plants do sound great! but i dont have any lighting other than the light from the room.
i wonder if i need to take out some of my fake plants. i have one large plants, and two medium ones in there, so i feel its sorta getting crowded?
can you have too many plants? my betta even loves the fake ones, he would love real ones!

If you like snails, go for a few other types. Even a columbian will do fine in a 5.5. The babies and eggs will be good food for the betta.

well, i totally didnt mean to ask for advice and do my own thing anyway......
but i went to the fish store for some supplies and they just got some bettas in. for some reason i couldnt resist and got another one. i bought him a little half gallon bowl too.
i dont want to put him with my other betta and snail until i am 110 precent sure its cycled.
i used some room temp de chlored water i use for my waterchanges and put it in his tank.
cant i take some water out of my possibly cycled tank and put it in my new bettas house? and just empty out the water i have in there now. i think that would be a great idea.
i dont want to put him with my other betta for a week or so, just to be sure. to be honest i am haveing second thoughts and may possible give him to my mother who has been wanting a betta.
well, if i were to divide my tank i have to worry about the heater AND the filter. i have the fliter on the corner, and heater on the other end. if i divide it in the middle i am scared the betta closest to the filter would get too much current. so perhaps move my filter to the middle? what about the heater? maybe even get a lower current sponge filter.
i still honestly dont know what i am going to do, nor even why i came home with another betta in the first place.
i will either split tank, and put him in there in a week or more
keep him in what he is in now, and get more fish for my 5.5
or give him to mother
for real. i was not ignoring you guys advice, it was a spur of the moment thing.

Back
Top Bottom