IM BRAGGING!! And for a good reason!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congrats congrats and apologies in advance but,
Am I missing something? What's so special about female gouramis? Breeding?
Is there a dramatic difference between sexes like there is in bettas?

yeah is there? i have been wanting to get one, but havent even tried looking, i thought i had a pair but it turns out that i have 2 males. :(

Females are real hard to get because they are plain looking. As we all know plain looking fish don't sell, so the stores don't usually carry them.

Though if they were smart they would because who doesn't want a breeding pair of fish?

I don't follow either, gouramis are almost equally mixed in our pet stores here... Unless I'm sexing them wrong, shorter less pointy dorsal fins... $3-5 depending on type.

I would like to see this pic. I beleive I have two males myself. Both are brightly colored and have pointy dorsals. A pic of the female would be excellent!

Thanks,
Doug

IceH2O said:
Females are real hard to get because they are plain looking. As we all know plain looking fish don't sell, so the stores don't usually carry them.

That is true with the dwarf gourami (Colisa lalia) but not most other types of gouramis.

Female gouramis I have:
3 pearl, 5 blue, 1 honey, 1 opaline, and 2 gold

The point is that female gouramis are not difficult to find, unless you are talking about dwarf gouramis. Although, I have recently been seeing female dwarf gouramis in stores more often.

I guess you have to be the person looking to understand how hard it is to find them, as for me I have never owned any gourami's or tried sexing them so I have no clue lol but congrats, where's the pic? lol

Back
Top Bottom