im expecting guppies very shortly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angeleyes88_88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
the only problem is the guppies are hard to catch in the nursery i bought...i tried the net but it doesnt fit because of the sides so i used a big cap off the fish food :lol: how small are guppy babies? i have molly 11 mollie babies so what is the size difference? im thinking very small... any tips on catching the babies to put them in the net breeder/baby raiser... can they go in with the mollies... they are like accouple weeks old already, they fit in a 1/4 tsp measure spoon if that helps any. :)

I just got some guppy fry. They are really small but I caught all mine from the tank with a net and some patience. I don't see a problem with the guppy fry and molly fry sharing a tank.

No, your few week old molly fry will do no harm to your guppy fry. They aren't that small when they come out. :wink:

If for some reason you want to keep them seperate, you can always cut the net off of it's handle, and use your hands to catch the fry with the net? I think it would be much easier if you just put them together.

Is the "nursery" you bought hard plastic or something? Can you just carefully dump the fry into the net? Just my thoughts. You should be able to use the net, it just might take you a while, or a long while :fadein:

Good luck with the little ones!

I keep my guppy, molly and swordtail fry all in the same tank, and sometimes with their parents. Most of the time the parents don’t bother the fry, but my nursery tank is very heavily planted. I have noticed that guppy fry are very small when born and stupid. Most of my fry try to hide and swim away from the bigger fish in the tank. My guppy fry swim all over the place. One time one fry swam up to a swordtail and got eaten. The sword realized it wasn’t food and spit the guppy fry out and the fry just swimming along like nothing happened.

i have this:
http://www.petdiscounters.com/aquarium/breeders/pp_aqua_nursery.html
i just took them out of it and im going to go to the pet store and buy that grass stuff for the babies. since i dont think the nursery is going to work :| maybe ill buy another net breeder and put the moms and the baby grass in that just so i dont worry about other fish eating them all up. im glad i wasnt a fish, your own parents my eat you for lunch 8O thats a hard life

Back
Top Bottom