I'm so furious I could scream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

talloulou

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got back from picking my kids up from school. We walk since school is only a few blocks away. There is the main, extremely crowded, street that runs along side the front of the school. And then there is a not so crowded completely neighborhood residential street that runs along side the back entrance of the school. Both streets are posted as school zones with school zone speed limits.

Anyway we take the back street, as do a bunch of other kids. There are no pavements so the kids mostly walk in the bike lane, and then there are the groups of kids that actually walk practically down the center of the street, playing and goofing off without a care in the world.

Well this kid in a red truck came tearing down the street and I mean tearing! I threw my hands up and started yelling and he actually accelerated and went faster!!!!! So fast I couldn't get his license plate. Then he completely blew the stop sign where lots of kids cross the street! Now this was a young guy with another young guy in the truck. It really pissed me off! It seems like whenever I see some freakin reckless driver it's always teenage boys in the car! What's up with that? What the hell is wrong with them?

Anyway I called the police and told them they need to start monitoring the back of the school as well. Right now they only monitor the front. If that was my son driving that car he'd of lost his license for a very very very long time. The weird thing is I see this crap mostly when there are a couple of boys in the car. Rarely do I see this insane reckless driving when the driver is by himself. Makes me think I won't allow my son to drive around with friends when he starts driving.

That would have made me mad. Im sure he lives in the area and you will see him again- keep an eye out and I bet you will get his plate numbers.

It's absolutely insane how some people have no regard for others. It probably doesn't even occur to them what it would be like to live the rest of their lives with some child's death on their conscience. Sad truly sad. Hope you see him again and get his plate number.

I'll admit, when I was a teenage boy I used to do alot of stupid stuff. Not that exact thing, but things equally as dangerous and stupid. Most of us grow out of it but there's just something about teenage boys that is wired different, probably all that testosterone.
Likely he does live in your area and you will see him again. And yes, when there's two stupide teenage boys in a car it's a hundred times worse because we simply try to outdo each other.

And yes, when there's two stupide teenage boys in a car it's a hundred times worse because we simply try to outdo each other.
Speak for yourself. Not all teenage boys have no concept of consequences or cave into peer pressure.

There are wreckless teenage girls out there as well. I remember in high school one girl who thought that you were supposed to floor it when you enter a curve...

Anyway I called the police and told them they need to start monitoring the back of the school as well.
Realistically speaking, that's probably your best bet.

deli_conker said:
Speak for yourself. Not all teenage boys have no concept of consequences or cave into peer pressure.

Well don't get touchy about it. I prefaced that by saying stupid teenage boys so unless you consider yourself in that category I suppose it doesn't apply. Do alot of teenage boys make the right choices and behave most of the time? Yes. Do girls do the same type of stupid things from time to time? Yes. But there is a reason that it costs significantly more to insure a teenage boy than a teenage girl.
Not all teenage boys do anything the same, however the reality is that most of them do not understand the concept of consequences and do submit to peer pressure from time to time.

Yes. But there is a reason that it costs significantly more to insure a teenage boy than a teenage girl.
This is a little off topic, but I have my own theory about this one and it involves gender inequality that is for some reason, acceptable. If you have more males on the road at any given time than females on the road at the same time (which 20 years ago was very true), then more males will be involved/at fault in accidents when they happen regardless of the reason for the accident. Hence the reason it costs more to buy car insure insurance for males at any age.

I don't know the male to female ration of drivers amongst teens at this point, but I'm sure as the ratios equalize, so will the ratios of the genders involved in accidents.

There is actually some more recent science behind this. Scientists have discovered that the part of our brains that process risk and danger dont fully develop until we get into our 20s. The process is also slower for boys than girls. This is a scientific explanation that is supported by the statistics.

Then my mind must have fully developed when I was like 10. I've never been a risk taker. I always know when something is a bad idea. I have a fast car, but the only time I'll floor it is to get onto the highway when I'm having a little bit of fun. Even then I never go over the speed limit. Maybe I have a high IQ... I should take a test... maybe I could get money. lol

"It's absolutely insane how some people have no regard for others. It probably doesn't even occur to them what it would be like to live the rest of their lives with some child's death on their conscience. Sad truly sad. Hope you see him again and get his plate number."

If you ever lived in the Ft Worth-Dallas area, you wouldn't have a piece of paper long enough to write down all the plate numbers! 7 million people live in this area and every one of them drive like maniacs. The cops are the worst...!

just to clarify the insurance thing. It is true that young men aged 16-25 will get into 3 times more accidents than young women aged 16-25. So sure insurance will be more, I was there once not too long ago and paid the premium. But the real reason behind that is that for every hour a female 16-25 would drive a male of the same age will drive 3. It's not that young men are any worse or more dangerous, they just drive ALOT more. As to the 2 stunting through the school zone, thankfully nothing happened.

This is very sad, but I live in Vacaville, CA. A 24-year-old man was driving on a school street, I mean like right on the same block. He ran off the road onto the sidewalk and hit 11 kids, two died. Why can't people just think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom