info on cleaner shrimp and gobies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deitta

Aquarium Advice Activist
Plotting and planning a very small 6 gal SW tank, but have only had FW before. Starting small.
Love the look of LR with a goby and a couple of cleaner shrimp, no coral planned.
So which gobies are the hardiest, will stay small enough and play well with cleaner shrimp? Any body have a favorite.

First off, I would strongly urge you to think about starting a bit bigger. A 6 gal tank is not the best choice for a first SW tank. They are less stable, parameters can flucuate rapidly nad frequnetly and theyrequire A LOT more attention. Many people who try SW for the first time start with tanks that are too small, it does not go well and they just give up. That being said, with the proper knowledge level, research and maintanance it can certainly be done. Six gal is pretty small so I would only recommend clown gobies, yellow, green or black. A cleaner shimp should be just fine in there.

Go a bit bigger, 6 gallons are very very hard to keep. Top most expert and cleaner shrimp are very big.

Not an option to get a bigger tank at this time. I know I am setting myself up for a lot of work, but I am getting prepared for it. Asking advice long before I would ever need it! In fact right now I still have guppies in it! Wasn't planning on even buying the LS or LR for at least a month to give myself time to do lots of research, reading and ask lots of questions... like...

"cleaner shrimp are very big" - are you refering to their size? Is there a hardy shrimp that would be better sized?

As long as you are prepared for the constant attention that will be needed to devote to a tank that small, you can make a very eye-pleasing setup with a nano tank (the term used for a SW tank less than 20 gal usually).

A cleaner shrimp would be fine in your tank, IMO. They don't get huge, Max size about 2 inches.

Good luck with the tank, and remember to take lots of pictures. :wink:

Also, take a look through the galleries here for some nice ideas on set ups in a nano tank. There are quite a few members here who have awesome looking small tanks.

Back
Top Bottom