Injured guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vienolac

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have this guppy, who I debate could be a tetra lol. Since he Never had gotten very big.

Anyways. I used to have a platy. Who would eat at his tail when he had a bit beautiful fan tail. Now he kinda has a tail still, however it is not near as nice as it once was,

I am concerned however because now. His tail has a split in it. And I am not sure how this will effect his ability to swim...
I guess really, I am just wondering if I should try to euthanize him. Or if you guys think he will be ok...

Attachments

• image-1020290649.jpg
    image-1020290649.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 95
  • image-1612669888.jpg
    image-1612669888.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 105
It may heal just keep the water really clean and watch him

I've been watching him, he hides from my other guppy all the time and stayed close to the bottom. But is still eating. I think he's being bullied by the other guppy I have. Who chases him a lot.

But I think he will be fine... I just don't know.. He's not sick. Just injured

Keep the water SUPER clean. This happens often to large finned guppies. The cleaner the better.

Ok well I usually do 1-2 30% water changes weekly. So I keep it pretty clean.

Is there any medicine that will help him heal up? Also I have a panda Cory who recently had some problems with finrot. However that has stopped, but maybe the medicine would help him also?

Clean water helps more than any meds that you can buy.

I see. Ok,
Well. I think e is fine, the last few days he has been closer towards the bottom of the tank hiding out. I think from the other guppy, who I put in a breeder net yesterday to see how he would react and my little guppy came out of hiding and was swimming around. This morning I put the other guppy back in the water. And he has went back to hiding....
Le sigh.... What to do what to do...

Vienolac said:
I see. Ok,
Well. I think e is fine, the last few days he has been closer towards the bottom of the tank hiding out. I think from the other guppy, who I put in a breeder net yesterday to see how he would react and my little guppy came out of hiding and was swimming around. This morning I put the other guppy back in the water. And he has went back to hiding....
Le sigh.... What to do what to do...

Maybe you should rehome the bully or the bullieie. The guppy may not even be able to heal because he's stressed all the time.

Ljk09 said:
Maybe you should rehome the bully or the bullieie. The guppy may not even be able to heal because he's stressed all the time.

:(. I think this is the path I am going to have to take.

He seems to haw wedged himself inside the purple plant. And just like sleeps there all day. But still swims a little bit.

Unfortunately. My Cory panda with the slightly rotted off tail fin... Is now swimming in loops....
I'm currently getting some frozen water because i thought he was good.... And then turns out he got worse day by day instead of better. I made sure to keep ammo 0. And nitrite 0. And nitrate below 10....

But it didn't matter.

Attachments

• image-324644783.jpg
    image-324644783.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 85
Honestly that upsets me, I bought 5 panda Cory's to start maybe a month and a week or two ago...

One died. Took it back. Got another one... A few weeks later. Another one just died.
Then a few days or another week later. One got white fuzzy on his face. And finrot.... We cured it. However the finrot was too bad and the 3rd fish litterally ha no side fins. And half a tail fin... He was euthanized.... Then the 4th one had suffered minor fin rot and his back tail was a little messed up... But not so bad he couldn't swim. I saw signs of improvement. Then a few days ago. He just started being lazy.. Swimming up to the top for air here and there.... And just a little bit ago I caught him swimming barrel rolls around my tank... Took him out. Put him in the breeder net so he wouldn't have to fight swimming.... Died within 10 minutes. Perhaps I over stressed him putting him there. But he was doomed.

I have 2 left. And they seem perfectly. Healthy. As far as my eyes can see....

I'm so confused by all this.... I must have got a bad batch of Cory's..... Or idk. Have had this tank set up. For over 3 months.... Only have ha a few fish die.... And one was poor planning(when I started). And another one the lady at the local fish store dropped him.... And the last one I think was sick when we got him....

Other then that.... Idk I'm at a loss....
Bleh
Calling the lfs tommorow to see if they will take my injured guppy.

Hope the rest if my fish are fine ...:|

Out of the plants and under the rock. Hugging the bottom of the tank for dear life.
And looks to have the same poop attached as earlier?....

Could be constipated.... Could be dying.
Any comments?

Also.

Should I get rid of my other 2 Cory's. Since your supposed to have 5?

Attachments

• image-3693682061.jpg
    image-3693682061.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 83
Vienolac said:
Out of the plants and under the rock. Hugging the bottom of the tank for dear life.
And looks to have the same poop attached as earlier?....

Could be constipated.... Could be dying.
Any comments?

Also.

Should I get rid of my other 2 Cory's. Since your supposed to have 5?

Are you getting all the cories from the same tank from the same store?

I am the other owner of this tank an yes we got them all from the same tank at the same store. Sadly the guppy suddenly seems to be dying. I placed him in the breeder net when I got home from work. But he wouldn't even swim away from the net. He just seems to have given up.

Ya like she said. Same tank same store.

We also got the guppy from the store. But all of our fish were fine untill we got the Cory's...

Then he got sick. Maybe he's too small and couldn't handle the disease or bacteria that we introduced. But all the other fish are just fine...

Posted a picture of him.
They are peas in the background incase maybe he had swim bladder or something.... Who knows

Well keep you updated as he goes through this journey....

Attachments

• image-3216118062.jpg
    image-3216118062.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 65
Maybe try some crushed garlic it may get him to eat and it gives a little boost to the immune system

Kat767 said:
Maybe try some crushed garlic it may get him to eat and it gives a little boost to the immune system

I will have to try that tommorow
How would I prepare the garlic to be eaten?
I just learned about frozen peas. And microwaving them with water and deshelling them lol

I have very little hope for my guppy friend who has gone throu so much in his short life constant misery
First he was harnessed by a platy who ate his tail mostly off (which started to heal). And then had his tail split from the outer part of his tail altheway to his body.
And now he is still alive. But can't even sit up straight. Can barley swim. :( honestly I'm surprised he is still Alive.... If only he would get better again....

Back
Top Bottom