Invert chat, <3 spineless critters.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I started with 15 Cherry Shrimp. I had over 100 at on point ;)

They are great Shrimp !

I LOVE my CRS but they are a lot trickier for me.
I am giving them their own specialized tank to get them breeding again.

I'm going to the SVAS Mega Auction tonight. Donating some plants for my club (SFBAAPS) to sell. Any money will go to my club. Paying it forward. I will try to resist more Shrimp ;)

Last time I got some Neons 4 for $3.

Coursair said:
I started with 15 Cherry Shrimp. I had over 100 at on point ;)

They are great Shrimp !

I LOVE my CRS but they are a lot trickier for me.
I am giving them their own specialized tank to get them breeding again.

I'm going to the SVAS Mega Auction tonight. Donating some plants for my club (SFBAAPS) to sell. Any money will go to my club. Paying it forward. I will try to resist more Shrimp ;)

Last time I got some Neons 4 for $3.

Wow, sounds like fun. I would not be trusted at one of these events. (all of my money would be gone in a few minutes) lol pick up any more shrimp?;)

What are these shrimp like?

African Filter Shrimp

I have not had much luck look with any other shrimp and I really want some :)

Will these be ok with BN Pleco and corys?

THANKS

Jeta -- sorry! Didn't know about that going off topic thing lol.

Coursair -- Ugh, if I could find some decent sale of livestock around me, I'd go insane! I wish!

Good to see everybody still commenting and helping here! Happy easter.

To the person considering going cheap first, its a great way to start. RCS are cheap but very pretty.

Back on topic guys please. Lets keep it informative and not waste pages on naming them and all that. Make a thread in off topic if you want to go there.

We havent got a subforum! :(

So we have made our own
This isnt just a thread it is more like a subforum :)

Thank You
To the peson to make this thread :)

Bamboo/ Flower /African/ Lucky (Filter) Shrimp, any other names???

Edit, adding two more names I found, Wood shrimp and Singapore

Fishy Ashton -I love mine. I find them to be one of the most fun guys to watch, I have a tall rock with a hole in the middle of it so I always enjoyed when he would pick that spot to filter.

Mine isn't completely right well right now, when I was on vacation my daughter didn't understand my directions and way over fed the fish and water quality was compromised and I think damaged his filters. I am putting crushed food to him with a tube. :(

The Cories dart around and occasionally scare them and they can fall/scoot off their perch. No big deal. I haven't ever had a BN pleco (considering one though), and don't have or keep other plecos. I understand some can be possessive of their territory, I think consideration must be given to individual personality of course.

How is your experience with BN and other bottom dwellers?

We havent got a subforum! :(

So we have made our own
This isnt just a thread it is more like a subforum :)

Thank You
To the peson to make this thread :)

How about re-reading my posts in this thread, if you would have then you'd know that I've addressed this already. If you continue to re-read what I wrote then you'll also know that if someone really wants go on a fish/invert-naming spree they are welcome to, just do it in the right section.

And no, this is just a thread, it's not a subforum.

I have found other bottom dwellers very calm and just go around the bottom slowly.

I have only kept BN Dwarf plecos. They have all been very calm they just chill at the bottom most of the time :)

My corys dart up to the top of water.

Good Luck and yes It is so frustating when you set everything up nice and then someone accidenily destroys it in just a week!

Aston.

Richie -- dude! Beautiful RCS, I want my strain to be that pretty!
-- how do you feel about your sponge filter? Is it cumbersome? Is it more beneficial than a HOB filter for your inverts? I'm considering maybe switching..

Last edited by a moderator:
MABJ said:
-- how do you feel about your sponge filter? Is it cumbersome? Is it more beneficial than a HOB filter for your inverts? I'm considering maybe switching..

I use a sponge over my HOB intake and my Shrimz graze on it like a mini sponge filter ;)

Coursair said:
I use a sponge over my HOB intake and my Shrimz graze on it like a mini sponge filter ;)

Lol genius. I was going to do that anyways. But I completely forgot! Where should I get my sponge?

You could make one or petsmart/petco sell them for like 3 bucks.

MABJ said:

It's just a fluval sponge on my aqua clear 20.
I got my java moss and little myrio moss balls.
The aqua clear 20 HOB filter Is really nice! It doesn't cause to much turbulence. The shrimp love grazing on the pre filter.

Which bottom dwellers good with shrimp???

What is best to keep with shrimp if you are just starting a 15 gallon, and is there a difference between Bristle nose and dwarf Bristle nose?

image-1333311405.jpg

One Fire shrimp and one cherry shrimp with eggs. It's really hard to see the eggs on the fire shrimp! U can see how her tail is really fat!

Attachments

• image-279486603.jpg
    image-279486603.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 48
Autumnsky said:
What is best to keep with shrimp if you are just starting a 15 gallon, and is there a difference between Bristle nose and dwarf Bristle nose?

Do you mean fish wise? Nano fish are always awesome, like chili rasboras, celestrial pearl danios, harlequin's, and neons. If you have any fish in a shrimp tank, they will eat some of the baby (newborn) shrimp. They will leave the juvies and adults alone though. If you want to have alot of shrimp, don't add any fish:)

Austin.b said:
Do you mean fish wise? Nano fish are always awesome, like chili rasboras, celestrial pearl danios, harlequin's, and neons. If you have any fish in a shrimp tank, they will eat some of the baby (newborn) shrimp. They will leave the juvies and adults alone though. If you want to have alot of shrimp, don't add any fish:)

Austin, you think with 6 chilis I'll be able to breed some and have some survive right?

I imagine with a heavily planted tank a few at least would survive if the chili's decided to snack on them. Or you could let your population boom a bit then add the chili's (that way I can get mine before you!), and then there would be so many reproducing that I doubt the chili's could eat them all.

Autumnsky said:

Plecos can be very territorial. I can't comment more than be wary of putting shrimp with them.

If you're looking for "bottom feeders" in the truest sense of the word, go for some ghost shrimp. They're great to start off with and they eat everything and anything. I was out for a day and one died from old age, he was completely devoured by the time I got back all I saw was his head.. Which was soon after gone as well. I say ghost shrimp because they're cheap, very cool and entertaining and they don't breed in fresh water. So when they're gone they're gone.

Let us know what you decide :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom