Invert chat, <3 spineless critters.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I need some advice from ppl with experience with rock shrimp
Would they do good in temps of 84-87?
They like strong current?
Low ph/soft water?

rock shrimp is another name for bamboo shrimp. they need high current(they are filter feeders). as for temp,i dont know

I've honestly never had to take shrimp out. It doesn't sound like it would be fun, though.

You're making me think twice of this Fluval Edge while I'm in college.

MABJ said:
I've honestly never had to take shrimp out. It doesn't sound like it would be fun, though.

You're making me think twice of this Fluval Edge while I'm in college.

Fluval edge is perfect just set it up rite in the beginning! Not to hard to aqua scape either ! It's a perfect shrimp tank! I had to remove long armed ghost shrimp from my 12 gal edge and as long as your experienced a little it's not bad! I think there easier than catching fish!

Autumnsky said:
I already have 5 Ghost shrimp. I have had them off and on in my main tank, as I buy them and they become meals and buy more...

This batch ended up with probably two males, smaller bodies, and one with a ton of babies that looks like she will drop them any time, the other berried that looks more like circles but they have already grown too so they seem to be getting longer and less like a circle, and one which had a little darker area there so maybe preggo.

This is in the 6.6 Fluval Edge, but my guppy fry born day before Easter are there so after being advised to get them out (Ghost Shrimp) it was the day Big momma and little momma were popping out babies. I make sure I am feeding small amounts through out the day, to keep them well fed.

I tried to get them out but the Edge isn't designed for getting shrimp out of a planted tank with some plastic plants with 17 fry swimming around using a bulky triangle shaped net with shrimp that don't want to get caught.....LOL

So now that the fry are easier to see I can try some more. I wanted to leave the two fat mama shrimp just in case they have their babies.

Good idea or bad?

Any other helpful ideas. There is a Cory in there too.

In my main tank I have a mixed peaceful community tank with the Filter shrimp and three Amano shrimp. So I can put the Ghosts in there, they will just need to stay away from my Spotted Raphael 5" cat.

The Amano shrimp I got to help clean the tank and really didn't intend to breed them.

Will the variant blue red crystal shrimp breed true or mixed babies? (I want blue Tiger, but too expensive and I have too little experience I think)

Anybody keep/raise the Blue Tigers...what experience level to keep, breed???

What else is blue, and easy to breed and reasonably price, I also like the the red and white ones, and I would probably like to have two or three kinds that wouldn't inter breed, is that possible? I haven't bought things online I have seen shipping is sometimes too much, we just don't have much for LFS.

I have to make a trip down to Denver, I will see if there are any stores in the vicinity of where I am headed.

So many questions, thank you all for the help.

Blue pearl shrimp are the easiest blue shrimp to have! They are related to RCS so don't mix or they well interbreed. Same requirements as cherry shrimp! Try pet solutions.com or shrimp farm.com. Blue tiger shrimp are my favorite but they are very delicate shrimp I well soon have some and well talk about my stock if they breed well! I hope they do I have a R.O. Unit and all of the special mosura shrimp products that really help!

Richie1RCS said:
Blue pearl shrimp are the easiest blue shrimp to have! They are related to RCS so don't mix or they well interbreed. Same requirements as cherry shrimp! Try pet solutions.com or shrimp farm.com to see the kinds and requirements!!

MABJ said:
I've never heard of Rock Shrimp! I'd love to learn more.

I wasn't suggesting putting RCS and ghost together.

I was suggesting starting with ghost shrimp first, instead of RCS. :p

Yeah my goast shrimp ate like everything ! A RCS would just molt and the goast would just kill it alive:( really pissed me off.

I called four independent fish stores in the North Denver area and no one had any shrimp. Uuggh! One said they just sold their last Blueberry ones last week. $1.99, sounded really reasonable, but of course, I don't have any, so that doesn't matter. We don't have a LFS so its 45 min to 1 hr 15 min or more depending on traffic either North or South of me.

Richie1RCS - Please share all the details of the Blue Tiger shrimp when you get them.

MABJ- Do you already have the Edge, mine is really my daughters, I am borrowing the 6.6 I would go bigger than this but if it's just shrimp especially really special ones, it would be good, they really look like a show piece. The larger one might be better to keep more in it, after all more IS more. haha

Otos and shrimp

I just bought 2 because that was all the store had since they were on sale for $1.00 each, they are in the guppy tank right now, I got a rain check for 10 of them, if I remember seems to me they like to be in groups, true or false??? and how many is a group?

When I get the new ones, I will add......how many to the 6.6 Edge, with one Cory? and the guppy fry will move as soon as they aren't mouth sized!

Autumn, no I do not have it yet. I move often because I live in a dorm at college. So I would have to move it at least 4 times. It makes me nervous because I'm not sure how it'd hold up. I'll probably just wait two years until I have a home or an apartment.

Two will be fine for now, but yes they enjoy groups. Literally you could have 66 shrimp, but that wouldn't seem right. I'd buy 10-15 to start your population off. They will breed oh they will breed.

:) Fluval products are so attractive. You can bet I literally will own them all.

MABJ- Ours was from Petco on clearance because it has the old style lights, and in current model they are LED I think. With the super deal my daughter bought it, fish died (tank was cycled) (it was a scraggly feeder goldfish) and she decided she wasn't a fish person. It sat in her room and I decided to grab it to put some shrimp then got the Guppy fry, it is beautiful. Black sand, gorgeous. I hope to take some pics Wednesday.

The glass is a cube and the small 6.6 I lifted and could carry full by myself, but got help, it took 5 min to move and re hook up because the plugs were on a extension cord together. The back is sort of plastic-e but holds the tank well, the shrimp look great.

Does moss have different light requirements than plants or is it a low or medium light plant. I have a little floating moss ball on a weight and a Japanese moss ball, large, the shrimp hang out next to them, have only seen one on it though.

Oto's usually can be scarce on food in a 10G tank. Having even 2 in a 6G is not a very good idea at all. What about doing CRS in the fluval? You don't need an RO/DI unit because the tank is so small, you can use gallon jugs of water from the Market? You would probably only do 2 gallon water changes a week. I do 3 gallon water changes on my 10G RCS tank a week:)

Autumnsky said:
MABJ- Ours was from Petco on clearance because it has the old style lights, and in current model they are LED I think. With the super deal my daughter bought it, fish died (tank was cycled) (it was a scraggly feeder goldfish) and she decided she wasn't a fish person. It sat in her room and I decided to grab it to put some shrimp then got the Guppy fry, it is beautiful. Black sand, gorgeous. I hope to take some pics Wednesday.

The glass is a cube and the small 6.6 I lifted and could carry full by myself, but got help, it took 5 min to move and re hook up because the plugs were on a extension cord together. The back is sort of plastic-e but holds the tank well, the shrimp look great.

Does moss have different light requirements than plants or is it a low or medium light plant. I have a little floating moss ball on a weight and a Japanese moss ball, large, the shrimp hang out next to them, have only seen one on it though.

Moss usually only needs very low light. However willow moss needs a bit more light. I have kept moss alive from just the room lighting alone:) I can't wait to get my fluval edge! I'm thinking about doing snowball shrimp, then after about 7 or 8 months upgrading to CRS and CBS in there:)

Progress Report

Hi MABJ! Thanks for the ferts advice. So far, so good with all plants with no ferts and, I think, substandard lighting. my amazon sword looks a little pale, but all are putting out new growth. I have ordered some new plants, all low to medium light and easy care, so I'll keep posted!
My new question is: I want to run a low output powerhead (like 126gph) with a filter down at the bottom level of my 20 gallon tank for my Bulldog Pleco. A few of the new plants like current, so that works out, but how will the little RCS do? Will they be swept away into oblivion? I think I just lost a few due to a nitrAte spike :( and don't want to lose or stress the others who look great!
Thanks again for this great thread everyone!

Good advice, Austin.

laurelhed said:
Hi MABJ! My new question is: I want to run a low output powerhead (like 126gph) with a filter down at the bottom level of my 20 gallon tank for my Bulldog Pleco. A few of the new plants like current, so that works out, but how will the little RCS do? Will they be swept away into oblivion? I think I just lost a few due to a nitrAte spike :( and don't want to lose or stress the others who look great!
Thanks again for this great thread everyone!

The current may bother them, but then again if they've got moss floors/walls to hold onto, they might be fine.

I'd go for some rock shrimp/filter shrimp mentioned in this thread. They like high currents.

image-2464017199.jpg

I put my old 24in hagen glo dual t5 lights on my edge. Lol certainly causing some algae but the cherrys are loving it. Mite take off and put on when algae stArts to go over take!

image-594930088.jpg

Trying to boosts the new java and weeping moss before my berried shrimp have bays should be in like 3 weeks:) plus my sword looks like crap!

Just got some Mystery Snails! Love them and thinking I'm gonna have some baby snails soon. Need advice on what to do to make sure the babies survive.

I accidentally left my heater off for 2 days after doing a water change. I just turned my heater back on, do you think my RCS will be ok?

Last hours of my RCS :(

I think I'm losing last of my Red Cherries :(
For a last few hours she's going round and round in the tank, won't stop for a second; all the way across and around the tank.

Last time I've seen something like that - next day I took the dead shrimp out of the tank... :huh:

Any ideas of what might've cause this? I know I have a Nitrates a bit high at a level just above 20ppm, but all the others are zeroes, and pH is 7.6 . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom